How do I break my toddler of sleeping in my bed?

My son is a little over a year. I can put him to sleep in his bed but he always wakes up in the middle of the night and wants in our bed. I have tried just letting him stay in his bed and he will cry for EVER. As soon as I put him in our bed he is right back to sleep.

OneChance

Asked by OneChance at 1:58 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son does the exact same thing... The only thing that I can tell you is to let him cry it out. I know its heart breaking and all but it will not hurt him at all. My son usually stops crying after he figures out that i am not going to come back in the rom so he falls asleep. They may not like it but hey whatever works right. Good luck and hope this helps.
    aquarianmom69

Answer by aquarianmom69 at 2:40 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I guess it depends on whether or not you want to put your son's need to be with you before your desire to not have him in your bed. Sorry, but I support co-sleeping as a way of helping children build secure attachments. Maybe if you don't want him in your bed, but he feels that he needs to be near you, then set him up his own "sleeping" space on the floor in your room where he can come in when he needs to be around you at night time. Why break your heart listening to him cry while simultaneously telling him - by the act of ignoring him and letting him cry - that his need to be with you is not important.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 3:39 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I went through this with my daughter and I am telling you that it is so much better to break them of it while they are still in a crib. If you wait until they are in a toddler bed to deal with it then you have to chase them all over the house. If they get used to sleeping in their own bed now then they will continue doing it when you do put them in a different bed and trust me your life will be easier. So the answer here is to let him cry it out. I know it's hard but after a couple of nights he will realize he isn't going to get his way and it will be over and you will both sleep better in your own beds. Good luck !!
    sophia_03_27

Answer by sophia_03_27 at 9:37 PM on Jun. 26, 2009