bathroom mold? brown spots on ceiling above shower

i noticed brown spots on the ceiling on top of our shower. is this mold? if so will just bleach cleaner do the trick?

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 2:02 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Home & Garden

• This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non-toxic.
    1/4 cup white vinegar
    3/4 cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (optional) (antiseptic and smells nice)
    For extra scrubbing, I make a paste with salt, baking soda and vinegar.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:43 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• What is the ceiling made of? Is it ceiling tile or bathroom tile or fiberglass like the shower? If it's ceiling tile the brown spots are from the water splashing on them. There's nothing you can do but paint over it with Kilz primer and then ceiling paint. For the other two your bleach cleaner may do the trick.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 6:52 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• My weekend project is to deal with this same exact problem and recaulking the shower. I wish my husband were home to do it.
    Just like michiganmom said. Depending on what the ceiling is made of-nothing easy to clean in this house- is how you would deal with it. I just wanted to add that after you use the Kilz Primer, you might want to use a good bathroom and kitchen paint with a mold inhibitor in it. It's a bit more expensive than plain ceiling paint. But it never hurts to be extra safe and it's a only a few dollars more than regular paint. The bathroom paint is also easier to clean than regular ceiling paint.
    oh_tracie

Answer by oh_tracie at 9:54 AM on Jun. 27, 2009