What has been your biggest parenting mistake?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:04 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• Oh wow...um.

Not trying to breastfeed for just a little bit longer. I don't regret going to formula, but knowing what I know now, I know I could have done it. I was just having a rough time adjusting to motherhood back then.

And also not trying harder to bond with my daughter. It's taken me six long months to truly feel like she's mine.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:05 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Supplementing with bottles b/c of pure frustration and lack of patience
    Anonymous

• Having kids. just kidding...
    Actually, not setting enough limits for dd so she wouldn't hate me. She hated me anyway, but, at age 22, she's coming around.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 2:07 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Hating my oldest daughter. I didnt realize it but i actully hurt my baby more then once. I always asked my husband why she screams all the time when i came into the room and why she never wanted to be around me and them my husband saw how i acted toward her when i was alone with her, I pointed out things i were doing that were more then likely hurting her. and now i feel awful for it. she is almost 2 now and we are really close me her and her sister go and hang out all the time and i love spending time with her she is the funniest little thing in the world. I may not of wanted to ever be mom but i got use to the idea and i like it
    Anonymous

• Letting my parents be involved in the first 3 yrs of my sons upbringing.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 2:14 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Letting my son roll off the bed onto his head... more than once...
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 2:27 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• For not listening to my mom and my own instincts sooner. Luckily that only lasted a year! Why I ever thought the doctors"knew' all the answers for "fact' was beyond me. My mom told me my due date was July 2nd and my nurse-midwife was starting to be concerned because I didn't deliver by the end of June. My son was born on July 2nd! She thought my DS was having a problem with not talking, (the Experts at the magazine, said No, he's fine, so did the Dr,) Went to a new doc, and sure enough, he did have a problem. My mom told me (after I tried to breastfeed and failed) that I could try any formula for DS, I didn't listen. I thought there was some magic chemistry they performed to find out what type you should use. Nope, whatever rep visits the doc that month, gets his vote. After that I guess, it would be allowing my MIL to try and mix formula, way too weak for a two month old, after that I just bought Ready To Feed for her.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 2:43 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Believing that breastfeeding would have made me a better mother. I spent the first 6 months o my daughter's life severly depressed because I could not breastfeed. It took a la leche league consultant to finally snap me out of the doldrums. Yes, really!! I regret spending the first half of my daughter's first year depressed.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 3:19 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• spending too much time worrying about losing baby weight instead of enjoying every moment of my LO being so small. Once I realized that time was going by so fast I stopped worrying about myself so much.
    pinkgemini85

Answer by pinkgemini85 at 4:15 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Letting my mom spoil my oldest. I'll tell him he can't have something and she will buy it for him anyway. I could have taken it away and made her take it back but I thought that would be wrong, now I realize I was wrong because when I tell him he can't something, he says his grandma will buy it for him! Pisses me right off but I finally made her realize she can't give in to him anymore. We're working on it.
    Anonymous