How do teachers make money during the summer?

I'm just curious, because I don't know how it works. I know some teachers have part time jobs during the summer. Do you just have to save up during the school year, or do you get a paycheck from the school at all during the summer months?

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 2:06 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Some teachers' paychecks are divided up for the full 12 months so they continue to get paid over the summer. Some paychecks only apply during the 9 months teaching. Most teachers don't make much, so some will supplement their income with summer jobs.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 2:11 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• most teachers get part time jobs.... a lot of them work at tutoring places (like sylvan, etc.) there is summer school, daycare, day camps. It's usually something you set up before the summer comes.
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 2:11 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• My mother was a teacher for over 30 years and her salary was spread out over 12 months like Busimommi said. She was lucky enough to have a job in one of the more higher paying school systems so she didn't have to get a part time job to supplement. She just had to deal with us all summer :)
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 2:17 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• My mother in law is a teacher and I asked my husband how it worked for her, and he said that her paychecks are spread out over a 12 month period as well. That seems to make the most sense, that way nobody has to go without during the summer months. I can't honestly see it working any other way!
    SecretSuzy

Answer by SecretSuzy at 2:20 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• my neighbor is a teacher and during the summer shes a waitress at red lobster
    codysmama2609

Answer by codysmama2609 at 2:27 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Most teachers get a summer job to earn extra money, or to keep themselves busy.
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 2:30 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• my parents were both teachers... they had the option of getting thier summer pay in a lump sum, or spread over the three summer months. one would take them spread out, and one would take the lump sum, so the would have the money up front for house repairs, summer vacations, etc...

many teachers do get a job in the summer, just because they have the time to make some extra money!
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 3:30 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I worked in a school system for many years, most teachers chose to have their pay checks spread out over 12 months. Several teachers I know did tutoring during the summer.
    LoriW

Answer by LoriW at 7:08 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Our paychecks are divided up for the 12 month year. We get our first paycheck of the year in September and our last one in August.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 7:30 PM on Jun. 26, 2009