How do I bathe my DD by myself?

My DH just left for his first deployment yesterday and I am at a loss at how to bathe DD! We have always done it together. Both because it was a bonding experience for the three of us and because it is easier. I tried a couple times before DH left because I knew I would have to do it alone, but I always ended up needing his help. DD is 2 1/2 months old. I have a baby bathtub that I use but I have a problem rinsing her off(mainly her hair) without all the soap getting right back on her from it going right back into the tub and back on her. Usually I wash her body and then her hair and DH would hold her up and out of the tub and I would pour water over her while he was holding her so it wouldn't get back on her. But now I don't know how to do it! I would appreciate any advice/tips on how to go about doing this! Thanks so much =)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:21 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I agree with the PP about just laying her down in the tub with a couple inches of water - my DD is 10 months and I've almost always given her a bath this way.

If your DD can sit up on her own or with little assistance, you can bathe her in the kitchen sink. Just sit her in the sink, put a couple inches of water in the bottom and use a cup to pour water over her.
    MrsAce150

Answer by MrsAce150 at 2:59 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I had this mesh recliner thing (sorry can't remember what it's called it's been too long, but I did buy it at walmart lol) that went into the bathtub. I would put it in the tub then lay them on it. Since the water went through it I didn't have the problem of soap getting on them!

fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 2:24 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• even tho this may be a really easy way you can hop in the shower with her or draw up a bath with baby temp water and just dip her in or get in with her and wash her in there.. Maybe?
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 2:24 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I didn't know bathing a baby was a 2 person job. I've bathed my son every night for the last 7 months since his cord fell off...all my lonesome self. Hell, I'm a single mom, I do EVERYTHING by myself. Don't use as much soap would be my guess. I don't have that problem. Babies are small, they don't require gobs of soap.
    Anonymous

• the easiest thing to do is to run like a couple of inches of water in the bath tub like where it comes to her ears and lay her down in the water and bath her that way and just use a cup to rinse her off that is what i have done and i have a 7mo. old it works great
    martinsmom2008

Answer by martinsmom2008 at 2:35 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• wow...
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 2:41 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• You can put her under your arm at the sink in a football hold to do the hair. Has worked for 3 kids here.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 3:33 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I"ve bathed my DD alone since she was born. We sometimes bathed together when she was colicky and I needed my DH's help, but ever since her cord came off, she's been in the baby bathtub. I have a mesh thing like a previous poster said and fill up the baby tub only about halfway. I don't wash her hair every day, just every other day and then I just cup water over it to rinse it off. IT gets in her face a bit but she doesn't mind.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:14 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• At 2.5 months, you just need to use warm water, and a bit of olive oil for the "crusties". When our daughter was that small, we laid a towel on the bottom of the bathtub, and put in about 1/2" of water.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:29 PM on Jun. 26, 2009