Is there a way to reduce sodium from a can of green beans?

I heard can food has more sodium then frozen food..

effie777

Asked by effie777 at 2:44 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Buy green beans that say "low sodium"
    or maybe pour water in them, then drain them.???
    Anonymous

• Rinse then well...
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:46 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I put them in a colander and run water over them, rinsing well. It won't remove all the salt, but it will remove some. I mainly buy low salt. For the frozen beans, you could thaw and then rinse them in a colander, I think they would have less salt than canned- they don't taste salty, but canned do.

Answer by Bmat at 2:47 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• You can buy no salt added canned green beans. Regular canned do have more sodium than frozen, but I found some of the frozen ones actually have quite a bit of sodium too; you really do have to look at the lables. If you already do have regular canned green beans it might help to soak and rinse them really well with water.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:49 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Buy frozen, they taste so much better and they are not cured n sodium.
    Anonymous

• I never thought caned green beans had that much sodium untill i was watching the food ch. and they said frozen was better..
    Thanks everyone!
    effie777

Answer by effie777 at 2:52 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• According to my dad's doctors (after having a triple-bypass surgery and needing to watch his new diet) they said if we HAD to buy canned vegetables to rinse them under water to get the sodium out. They won't be totally sodium-free because of sitting in the sodium-laden liquid, but it would rinse off most of the sodium. I agree with everyone else: buy frozen instead!

(Just an interesting note here - while reading labels for my dad, a can of sardines labeled "no salt added" was only about 10 mg. lower in sodium than a normal can of sardines! Go figure!)
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 4:02 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I agree buy frozen or fresh green beans. No sodium and more nutrients.
    pinkgemini85

Answer by pinkgemini85 at 4:10 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• rinse them. This is why I buy frozen or fresh when I can.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 9:20 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• They make canned green beans that are salt free.
    Anonymous