Why can't people laugh about faith?

Whenever there's a good, fun question that lets everyone lighten up regardless of what faith they are, there always has to be someone who shows up to play Eeyore and talk about how it's not a laughing matter, or throw out some passive aggressive comment about the people who don't insist on taking everything seriously. Is seeing other people have fun and get along that painful?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:49 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• WHAT!!!!!  NO HUMOR!? LIFE'S TO SHORT NOT TO LAUGH...
    SO SING A LITTLE SONG AND DO A LITTLE DANCE AND LAUGH...

5FCormack2527s2520HD5FTemporary2-2.gif picture by Gmasboy

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 3:45 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I don't think that sort of thing is limited to faith discussions. There's always at least one party pooper no matter how "fun" a question or discussion is.
    Anonymous

• Because Christianity is the integral part of who I am. I can't laugh at faith because it's something to me that's waaaaay too serious to be taken lightly.
    sheriskidmore

Answer by sheriskidmore at 3:04 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• That's fine, but why throw a little attention grabbing hissy when anyone else does? I can understand feeling that way personally, I don't get the need to spread the emoness to everyone else when it's perfectly acceptable to ignore the question and move on.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:07 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Is it painful to you?
    Anonymous

• This is found at the end of every Beliefnet.com's Religious Joke of the Day: 

"BAD JOKE DISCLAIMER: We recognize that religious humor can be risky. It is our hope that by laughing at ourselves (and others) we can make this subject more approachable. If you find any of these objectionable, we apologize. As with most jokes, the original authors are unknown - but we thank them."

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:10 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Because I care about others and because I love God more than anything or anyone. If someone was making fun of your child or significant other or some other family member that meant the world to you wouldn't you want to say something? I guess that's how I feel.
    sheriskidmore

Answer by sheriskidmore at 3:12 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• well it depends on how you look at it and it really depends on the joke. i love my God more than anything and i have such respect for Him and His All, but personally i believe God would be okay with laughter and to not take things too seriously because if you take it too seriously then you will miss alot of things He put on this earth for us to see and experience. Myself personally i get a little '"walking on eggshells" about a few things but then i stop myself and relax and i think that God knows i'm not trying to make fun of anyone or hurt anyone, He knows my heart. it's all about where you let the joke take you, to a bad place, or a good place?
    Mrs.Killer09

Answer by Mrs.Killer09 at 3:20 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I can, and do frequently.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 3:29 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Im with you OP, some need to lighten up and enjoy a joke or a dodad for what it is...fun.
    If a simple dodad or joke threatens you then you best reexamine your faith cuz it sure shouldnt. And then there is the good ole standby of NOT looking.

I just dont think laughing or giggling at a joke or dodad is gonna make God/Goddess feel disrespected. Afterall, they know your heart...right?
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:45 PM on Jun. 26, 2009