Yeah I get that Micheal Jackson was a really big star, but........

Am I the only one who thinks it is weird to see people crying hysterically, that didn't even know him? I wasn't a fan of his, but even if my favorite singer in the world dies I am not going to cry about it. Yes it is sad when anyone dies, and I feel very bad for his children and his family. But to see people who have never met the man crying like their mother died is just odd. Is it just me who feels this way?

TeriMelisa

Asked by TeriMelisa at 2:52 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Entertainment

• Nope I think it is weird too. Afterall he isn't Elvis. JK.
    theosgirl45

Answer by theosgirl45 at 2:54 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Some people have no lives!
    Anonymous

• Some people tend to really put themselves into a celebrity emotionally even though they never knew them. They tend to follow him through tv, tabloids, and whatever else they can find so they feel like in a way they knew him. So when something happens like this they tend to get a little emotional. I was actually very sad when Ray Charles and Johnny Cash died because as a musician I respected them and looked up to them in many ways. I can't say I broke down or anything, but I was kinda bummed. Also, Michael Jackson was a HUGE deal before he got really weird and some people in that era are in a way saying goodbye to something they always thought would be there. His fans were always enamored by him dead and alive. I wasn't a uge fan myself but I remember how big he was!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 2:57 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• No, it isn't just you.... I think it is strange too.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 2:57 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Very good answer, Steff.

I'd add that I am a bit saddened because he got so strange and now has no chance to pick himself up and be a hit again. He went out on a low note.

Answer by Bmat at 3:00 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I cried for a week when Princess Diana died so I guess I'm odd too.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 3:15 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• A lot of his fans were deeply touched by both his music and his generous spirit. Michael Jackson gave somewhere around 300 million dollars to help children around the world. (Which I have heard is more than any other person has given to charity) People seem to forget about these things since the media has always focused on his eccentricities.
    Maybe you should just let the people who actually cared have their period of mourning, OP and stop judging. People are allowed to direct their compassion toward those they don't know personally.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 3:15 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I don't get it either. He's just a person. I'm willing to bet half of the people who are hysterical wouldn't be that upset over family member. It's kind of sad actually.
    Anonymous

Unfortunately, your right. I wouldn't shed one tear for some of my so called family. In fact, I would have trusted my kid being around Michael Jackson more than them! Yes, I said it!
    Loryl

Answer by Loryl at 3:44 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I wasn't crying over him, but it is sad. His music might as well be the soundtrack to my childhood. He's what I workout to. He broke records in the music industy some have even said that he made MTV wake up and start showing minority music videos. No he wasn't Elvis ... he was arguably bigger. I'm bummed that he is gone. I don't know anyone that doesn't know SOME of the words to at least one song. Like him, dislike him, but he was/is a big deal and to some people (especially in the black community) a symbol of breaking down racial barriers. I don't think they were crying over him, but what he sybolized. Yes he was Wacko Jacko at the end, but who wouldn't be at least a little off with a upbringing like that?
    MariahD

Answer by MariahD at 3:57 PM on Jun. 26, 2009