Do you ever just want to give up??

I don't want to sound like a bad mom, but, sometimes the stress between work and being a mom is just too much. I wonder how long I can take it. I can't give up my child (nor would I) and i can't give up work because I'm the bread winner of the family. I feel like I'm going crazy- someone please help- tell me I'm not the only one. How do you handle both? How do find an equal ground? How do you stay sane?

casd

Asked by casd at 2:54 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Money & Work

• Can you let something go- let some of the housework or cooking go, for example? Can you get some time to put your feet up and read or just relax?

Answer by Bmat at 2:56 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• the only time i get to myself is if i'm mowing the lawn- and thats because i refuse to let my dd be outside when i do that. The other time is when she goes to bed, but by that time all i want to do is go to bed also. Thanks Bmat for your help. I feel like i'm drowning here, and people keep giving me more water. not buckets. (if that makes sense)
    casd

Answer by casd at 3:00 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Trust me, I know exactly how you feel! I'm the sole bread winner of our family also since my dh got laid off a few months back. We decided he would be a SAHD for the summer so I could save on daycare---4 kids in daycare is an insane amount of $! I've had to make myself realize that I don't HAVE to have everything done. If the floor doesn't get mopped tonight, noone is really going to care. Or if I don't get the laundry off the table, the table will not fall over and break. It's been hard and dh does keep the house picked up mostly for me, but it's a definite challenge!

KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 3:31 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I do the same thing! We own a business together, so we're at the same place ALL DAY! He workd 70hrs here, and I work 50. I just evaluate how bad things NEED to get done, and how tired I am. If your kids are old enough, let them help you with chores! It's good for them! Even my 18mo can pick up everyone's napkins after dinner and throw them in the trash! (He's good for picking up laundry, too!) My 7yo washes dishes if they aren't too bad, and combines all the hampers and sorts the laundry (it isn't always like I would do it, but she does alright!) You don't have to do everything yourself, just figure out what your kids are capable of!
    mmmommy0207

Answer by mmmommy0207 at 8:11 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Lock the door, put on some tunes, and give yourself a spa treatment and a long bath! That helped me. Ever think of trying to work at home part time, to see if transitioning to that would be better for your lifestyle? My fiance was the bread winner and I thought he'd always take care of us, but he's been unemployed for over a year now and when I got pregnant I started worrying. I found a job from home and now I'm the bread winner!
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 12:56 AM on Jun. 27, 2009