smoking

i read alot of peoples blogs on this and other sites and ive seen quite a few that have smoked during pregnancy like one lady smoked 3-5 a day!! i mean i know its addicting but dont you think its quite selfish to continue to put that poison in you when you are trying to grow your baby?? accidentally smoking or drinking BEFORE you find out is one thing but to know and continue to do it is another. what do you think??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i think its child abuse. its horrible. my father smoked around me as a kid and i was constantly sick with colds and ear infections up until i was 10. when he quit smoking! what a surprise!!
    ilovenoah26

Answer by ilovenoah26 at 3:01 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Hmm shall I?????

Okay having a family full of smokers and all of them smoking 1 pack per day while pregnant and not a damn thing wrong with any of our kids when I found out I was pregnant I was a 2 pack a day smoker and had never in ten years tried to quit, looking at my family history of full term, 8-10 pound babies and not to mention my Dr even recommended that I just cut back, I have continued to smoke though my pregnancy. It is your choice and seeing as though not a single child in my family has had negative affect from it. the Dr asked me about my family history and she said I should be fine. 39 weeks later with a 8-9 pound healthy baby boy I made my choice.
    momof4520

Answer by momof4520 at 3:03 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I was a high risk pregnancy and the midwife actually told me that there is no harmful side effects proven for smoking under 10 cigs a day, but the stress from quitting if you are a long time smoker is very dangerous in the first trimester. They suggested that I cut back at least until after the first trimester, and then slowly taper off after that. I used to get rude comments and one woman even went so far as to grab my pack and step on it right after I bought them one day. I was upset and mortified, but scared to quit bc of the possibility of a miscarriage, so I don't judge when I see a pregnant woman smoking. You don't know all the facts, and it may be something such as what I went through for the first few months!
    Anonymous

• I quit when I found out I was pregnant. It wasn't easy, at all, but it was something I just HAD to do for my baby.

I think the people who do smoke and make uxcuses for it being okay are selfish and in serious denial of the effects on their kids and their own bodies. I wouldnt ever think of starting up again just for fear of my kids loosing their mother earlier than needed because of a serious addiction.
    Anonymous

• My doctor recommended me to cut back to under 1/2 a pack a day, rather than quit cold turkey while I was pregnant. It's unfortunate, but true. Both of my children have been full term, normal weight, developmentally normal children with no health issues from me smoking. Is it healthier to stop? Of course...why take that chance right? But don't be so quick to judge, many of us do take our doctor's advice while just cutting back during pregnancy.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 3:19 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I look at it this way if a mother has the right to KILL her baby just because she doesn't want it, as long as it hasn't taken it's first breath then a mother has the right to smoke. I may not personally agree with their choice but it is their GOD given right to choose, even if it is wrong, God gave every human the gift of choice. Just my humble opinion on the subject.
    Anonymous

• i am 33 weeks and still smoke my baby is fine and healthy. i smoke a pack a day if you dont smoke then you wouldn't understand how are it is to stop. it is harder to quit smoking then it is to get off of herion...fact.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 4:17 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• My husband's mom smoked about 5-6 cigs a day through her pregnancies. Of course, this was back in the late 70's/early 80's when docs. weren't too strict about smoking while pregnant. My husband and two of his brothers both went to Ivy League schools, one went to Harvard. He is very smart and over 6' tall. I think his Mom just has really good genes, b/c all of them are very healthy and intelligent. My mom smoked when she was pg with me and I had very severe asthma as a kid, so...I think genetics has A LOT to do with it. I quit smoking when pg. but started right back up again when I was on maternity leave (I was stressed!( I only smoke 1 a day, tho. It was easy for me to quit.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 6:07 PM on Jun. 26, 2009