• In the Spotlight:

Anyone of you ladies have a baby after the age of 40?

I'm currently in a new relationship, after being married for 12 years with 2 boys ages 10 and 8. Both my boyfriend and I are 42, and he has an older son (20). We want to get married and he has brought up the possiblity of having a baby. Although I would love to share this life experience with my soul mate, I would be at least 43 before even conceiving.

So I'm wondering if anyone has had a baby in their 40's? How was the pregnancy compared to that of being younger? Any health issues for you or the baby?

luvmypolywogs

Asked by luvmypolywogs at 3:08 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i'm only 21, so obviously i havent had any children after age 40. but my mother did have me when she was 42 years old. there was a higher risk of congenital defects and they performed an amniocentisis to rule it out. she said her pregnancy was pretty okay considering she was an older mother. she said she had a harder time when i was born keeping up with an active infant and toddler. it can be done, but the risks are just higher
    Anonymous

• I am 26, but my aunt had her daughetr a few years ago at the age of 43, are our family is really close so I watched her go through the whole thing. She had a fairly easy pregnancy, nothing abnormal, she was in really good shape though and took excelent care of herself. Her Dr did test her for some stuff that I havent been tested on with any of my pregnancies, like the amnio for downs syndrome (the risk raises significantly every year after the age of 35 it starts to jump) And if I remember correctly she started going to her every other week, and weekly apts earlier to watch for complications, but she never had any. Delivery was easy for her to, about 7-8 hours, no complications.

She says she alot moire patient of a mother too being older when she had her.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 3:21 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Ladies- I think shes asking for personal experiences... not hear say.
    Anonymous