Organic eating

I think its horrible that mothers wouldnt give there familes organic food. instead of junk! wow

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Sometimes mother's can't afford organic or can't find them. I use organic and use whole foods. I make a lot of my foods from scratch. But yeah thinking it's ok to eat Hamburger Helper every night is gross. I can't believe some parents give their kids soda and kool-aid.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 3:22 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• yAY TO NATURAL FOODS
    Anonymous

• So what's your question?
    Anonymous

• The official USDA organic label only bans specific human-designed pesticides and herbicides, such as Bt toxin. It still allows natural pesticides like arsenic, sulfur and copper compounds to be used on plants, and many organic farms use synthetic ammonium nitrate to boost crop yield.

This means that organic food can contain just as much or more pesticide residue than non-organic produce. It is just worded differently on the package. These organic pesticides are also less discriminatory regarding what they kill, and have a tendency to wipe out more insect species in a field (including beneficial predators such as ladybugs) than modern pesticide choices.

I don't buy organic from the store, but we do grow some of our own food and buy food from the local farmer's market... but it doesn't come with the "organic" label...
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 3:46 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Anonymous

• In the town I live in, there are two places to buy groceries. One is Wal mart, the other is a small "home-town" grocery store. Both places have a terrible selection of organics and both places are WAY over priced for what they are selling. (example: regular store brand milk is just under $4.00. But Horizon organic milk is over $6.00 a gallon!) I recently discovered Trader Joe's. They have a store a little over an hour from my house. I can get there about once a month. I try to get all my staples there. The pricing is MUCH better than in the stores by my house and the selection is AWESOME!! We have been able to try SO many organics that are just not available where I live. And we have tried so many NEW foods that are really yummy because TJ's employees are so helpful in making suggestions!

I guess where you live and the availability of Organics makes a huge difference in what people will buy.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 3:50 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Price, availability, and education about organics make buying organics difficult for many people.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 3:51 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• One other thought.... the reason I started buying organics is one day I realized that the apple juice I was buying my kids came from CHINA! At the stores near my home, the ONLY juice I could find that didn't come from China was the Organic juices. I made it my mission to stop buying juice from China, and after that I got an a roll.... now I have a whole cabinet and fridge full of organics!

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 3:55 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• If organic farms and food industries want the average American to purchase their foods, then they need to be the same price as all the other foods sold in stores. It is ridiculous to expect people to pay those ridiculously high prices that organic food are priced at!
    With that in mind - get off your high horses or give us the money to buy what you want us so desperately to buy!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:01 PM on Jun. 26, 2009