ERF??

First, this is annon because I feel stupid for not knowing.

Now, why I'm posting this. I have been browsing car seats and I'm feeling pretty lame. So, I actually have a few questions. How old/big do people ERF until? Where do you find carseats for ERF? Well, maybe I only have two questions.

I'm curious because I was looking at carseats the other day and the highest weight I found was 35lbs for RFing. I'm not really familiar with weight and age proportions so, I don't know how a baby will be and weigh 35 lbs. I also don't know what age people stop ERF at. So, just trying to get some info.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• I turn my kids at 35 lbs. Or if they outgrow the rearfacing height for the seat.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 3:23 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• There is no set age. Obviously you can't rear face your child any longer than the limits of your car seat will allow. My daughter is 2 and is only 23 lbs so she's more of an exception. Most kids are 20 lbs around a year on average so can continue to rear face for longer. Some kids are bigger and hit 20 lbs well before one year.

Car seats that allow you to extend rear facing are going to be convertable car seats. Those typically are rear facing until 35 lbs and then go forward facing after that.

Be sure to check both the height and weight requirements. SOme kids are tall and outgrow their seat before they weight 35 lbs.

Bottom line is it depends on your childs height and weight, the car seat you purchase, and your childs temperment (some do not like rear facing, some are uncomfortable and let you know, some see big brother or sister and want to sit like them).
    Anonymous

• my daughter is 3 years old, and 32 pounds. i dont think my dd will fit in a rear facing car seat anymore. i had a question about this too, considering the fact my dd is THREE, pretty tall, and wont fit in an infant carrier. are these car seats different from the regular infant ones? i'm not very well informed on this subject yet either. sorry if i asked a question in your question. you just ignited my curiousity too! x)
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 3:27 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• actually, my dd isnt tall, but seems too tall to be facing the back. i cant make it click how she would fit her legs in that position. wouldn't it be uncomfortable? sorry i'm new!
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 3:29 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• The infant carrier is not the only option. There are what they call "convertable" car seats. They stay in the car, unlike the carrier, and can rear face and forward face (and sometimes can be a booster as well).

LIke I said before, whether your childs is OK to rear face depends on their size. Long legs may be uncomfrotable, but they can cross them and still be comfortable. or not. Again, depends on the kid.

I have also heard that kids past a certain age shouldn't be rear facing. I'm not sure what studies are best or most correct. So just do what you feel is best.
    Anonymous

• Most kids just cross their legs. Mine always did without complaining. My 18 month old is 20 lbs and 27 inches tall....Deff no complaints from her yet.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 3:36 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• a child can erf until they hit the weight limit of the seat for rf or there is less than 1 inch of shell above their head regardless of age........in countries like sweden they practice rf w/ special seats that allow it to 55lbs, the have one of the lowest child fatality rates for car accidents. There are tons of ERF seats available, join the car seat group for alot of great help!
    mama2mycuties

Answer by mama2mycuties at 5:16 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• rabella, there are some seats for taller kids, truthfully its more about the torso height than the actual overall height of the child, i know that its hard to wrap your head around it but for the majority of children it doesnt bother them at all to cross their legs or prop them up on the seat......if your dds torso is shorter she could still be able to rf, graco has a new seat available the myride65 that rf to 40lbs, they are ok to rf as long as they fit within the harness(torso length) and their is still 1inch of shell above their head........if you would like to see pics of kids your age rf join the car seat group, there are many mamas on there w/ 3yr olds still ERF! hope that helps!
    mama2mycuties

Answer by mama2mycuties at 5:20 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• A kid can rear face until they hit the weight OR height limit of a seat. The "inch above the head" rule does NOT apply to all seats!!! If your kid is above the height limit, the seat is NOT safe!! they have limits after their testing for a damn reason!

My two year old has been above 35lbs for a while now.

Mine turned at a year, they were over 25lbs. Driving in the car was much more pleasant for us all and safer for me since I wasn't distracted with their screaming any longer.
    Anonymous

• Walmart.com has a wide variety of carseats you can look at and they tell you all about each one. Find one that is in your price range and fits to the child. Keep in mind that not all carseats fit all cars. So if you have a small car try to stick with a small carseat. Go with a convertable carseat, that way you can rear face untill the hight and weight limit (make sure you get one that will most likely fit the child up to a year old) and then turn them around to forward facing. Rear facing up to a year old is the law where I live, but I do not know if that is a national thing or not. You should be able to look up your states carseat laws on line.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 6:10 PM on Jun. 26, 2009