How much should I pay my babysitter?

I have 10 year old son and 12 year old daughter and I have a neighbor watching them 2 days a week. They get up in the morning by themselves, get breakfast, get dressed and then head up to the neighbor's house. They come home and get themselves lunch and then head back up to the neighbors. Some days they are up there about 6 hours and other days it could be four hours depenging on when they climb out of bed. While I realize that they are older and can stay home by themselves, the neighbor has children that they can play with and it is nice for them. Also, last summer was rough. They had a teenage babysitter and did not get along with each other so it was hard for them and the babysitter. I was a little leary to leave them this summer without supervision at all. My problem is, I just don't know how much to pay her because she really doesn't have to do to much with them, just keep and eye on them. Help!

debbiep17

Asked by debbiep17 at 4:16 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• When i baby sat (couple years give or take) they paid me 5 dollars an hour for night time but i also had a new born to deal with and two children under seven. I would probably go with 4 or 5 and hour or something daily like fifty bucks a day.
    A_DiPasquale09

Answer by A_DiPasquale09 at 4:50 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• 20 bucks a day
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 4:55 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• i pay y sitter 60.00 for 3 day for 8 hour days
    lil_2_notning

Answer by lil_2_notning at 5:46 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• how ever long the baby sitter has the kids
    mrsgarthbrooks1

Answer by mrsgarthbrooks1 at 5:46 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I kept my friend's kids last summer, there were 6 of them, ages ranged from 6-13. I was paid $10 a day per child. I didn't have to do anything but keep them out of trouble and keep them from killing each other, LOL.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 9:21 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Seeing she isn't feeding them, just keeping an eye on them, I would say $15 a day. It's not like she is cooking for them or entertaining them. You could also ask her what she thinks is fair for the amount of work she is actually doing.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:47 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• a flat rate per day because she has to be basically available. Yes, it is less since she doesn't feed them, etc. but with a flat rate she can count on a certain amount and she won't feel taken advantage of...and you can predict what the week will cost you!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 3:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Your neighbor watches two tweens 2 days a week for only 4-6 hours a day? if you paid her $5 an hour and counted it for 6 hours/2 days. That's $60. If it's closer to the 4 hour mark, then $40 for the 2 days. OR... in the alternative, offer to watch her kids one night a week or on the weekends so she can go out or do something. That way you don't pay her anything, you can just barter her services. :)
    CoolGirlChris

Answer by CoolGirlChris at 6:06 PM on Jun. 30, 2009