at what age is it safe to start painting your daughters nails?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:17 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• i paint my daughters, she is 4 months... i started at like 2 months i of course asked her pediatrician first and she said it was fine.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:22 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I think my daughter was 2 or 3 years old, and I let her try it because she requested it. I think 4 months is a little too young.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 4:24 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• i dont care you what you think lilyandemma.

that wasnt part of this womans question so for you to just throw it out there is really bitchy.

She looks adorable. I'm sure there are things you have done that others don't agree with, but you dont see me jumping down your throat about that.

MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:26 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I am still reeling from the first responce!

How awful. It's like a child with a dolly - how disgraceful and tacky - who the hell cares if it's not dangerous - it's downright disgusting to paint your baby!

Sorry - but as with other cosmetic and material things - when your kid can ASK for it - then it should be considered. (ear piercings, nail varnish... etc)

ugh. im picturing a 4 month old with nail varnish - just, ugh that poor baby.
    Anonymous

• "She looks adorable"

So do "Bratz" dolls. Your child is not a barbie. She doesn't need to be decorated.

Nail varnish is something that should come upon request. When the child starts asking about it and asking if they can wear some, then that is the time.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 4:30 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I think I first painted my daughters at about 8 months or so...then by the time she was about a year old or so she wanted hers done all the time....then for a while she wanted nothing to do with it. Now she is 17 and a half and she gets her nails done...~shrugs~
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 5:05 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I didn't let mine start until she was about 8. I didn't want her turning into one of those types of women that spend half their time off getting their nails &/or hair done. I wanted her to know that beauty is skin deep and what is on the inside is more important then all the make up and flashy clothes. Yes, I know there are a bunch of you that are going to start yelling at me about this...but don't waste your breath...I won't be back to read them.
    Oh yeah...she didn't get her ears pierced till she was 13 either.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 5:12 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I'd want to wait until she's old enough to keep her hands out of her mouth long enough for the paint to dry; I'd think it would be safe at that point. Toenails might be ok earlier than that, assuming she doesn't put those in her mouth.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:31 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• quote:

"She looks adorable"

Nail varnish is something that should come upon request. When the child starts asking about it and asking if they can wear some, then that is the time."

EXACTLY. Children are BORN adorable....If you are painting your baby's nails, piercing her ears, etc. before she can even speak, shame on you. Your are doing this for yourself, not the baby (who could care less) and to be totally superficial. You can be mad & in denial all you want, its still the truth.
    MichaelasMommy

Answer by MichaelasMommy at 6:58 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Seriously? Do you have any idea how toxic nail polish is? A child shouldn't be in the same room as the fumes, let alone have the polish put on her fingers.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:50 PM on Jun. 26, 2009