how would u handle this?

so we just got back from the park.. but from the moment we got there my son whom is 20 months only wanted me to hold him while standing up.. i tried to put him down then he went into all out screaming fit.. i stayed calm the whole time.. so then i go and sit in the middle of grass where the flowers were.. to try to show him the pedals..distraction right.. well he screams for a little while.. i open my arms yell his name.. baby come here.. he screams some more.. then runs to me.. so we try to sit on the bench. he still very upset that im not standing and holding him.. well now thirty mintues later dealing with this.. really not understanding why he doesnt want to go on the swing or play in the grass.. we go home. and now he has passed out.. he spent all day with his grandparents yesterday and normally he with me.. do u think it might be a seperation thing.. i know 20 months is still a baby.. but he was upset.. thoughts

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:42 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• We still carry our 20 month old daughter around for the majority of the time - so i understand, my daughter still likes to be carried. too. i think at this age there are on and off days where they feel either completely independent and don't want anybody touching them, and there are days when they just need some extra attention and want to be close to you - your son was just having a clingy day - which is okay. If you are not physically able to carry your son around - then try to stay as close as possible when he's feeling like this (maybe walk holding hands or ever so often pick him up for a cuddle and then put him back down to walk) - because trying to "break" him of this when he's having a clingy day will only make him upset and clingier.

ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 4:49 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Sounds like he was just tired. He probably didn't want to be at the park. I would have just taken him home and put him down for a nap when he started throwing fits. I bet if you take him back after his nap he wants to go on the swings.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:29 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• your son was sleepy are just having a bad day my sone gets like that he is the same age. but is the oppest he wants me to put him down and not hold him.. he thinks he is a big boy.... lol
    lilangel19

Answer by lilangel19 at 1:38 AM on Jun. 27, 2009