"Punishments" and Christianity...

My family has been STRICT pentecostal (up until my moms generation, who are now reformed) I am talking about no earings, makeup, short hair, pants, tank tops, belts that accentuate the waist, etc. When my mom was 18, she cut her bangs and her pastor at the time put her in "diciplina" (spanish) which basicaly meant she was punished and had to sit in the back of the church segregated from the congregation for a few weeks. This is a normal practice in many hispanic Pentecostal churches. Is this going a little overboard?

MommaToSam

Asked by MommaToSam at 4:54 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• To each religion their own and all that, but on a personal level, I don't agree with it.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 4:58 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Yes, I was raised in a very strict church and went to my church's christian school. I love that I was raised to worship God and know about the Bible, but I really dislike churches who teach that God says not to judge, but yet they judge others everyday or they look down on you because of one thing or another. I was discriminated against in church and school because my mom divorced my dad because he used to beat her and rape my oldest sister. They didn't care her reason they just said it was a sin to divorce for any reason and my sisters and I were abused by that church. My teacher used to slap my across my face in front of the whole school. I am 24 now! God teaches forgivness, love and kindness, not hate, discrimination and judgement.
    lilmama4d_j

Answer by lilmama4d_j at 5:08 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I don't understand the idea that so many bible literalist Christians on here constantly preach, that everyone sins, but as long as you accept Christ, your sins are forgiven......yet there is judgment and punishment for people's actions? Why?
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 5:11 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• This is not okay. It is a form of manipulation called "legalism". It is when the church takes a leadership position that puts demands on people that God has not put on them. It is not okay. That is why you need to make sure you study your Bible for yourself and make sure you understand not just how your pastor explains the verse but what it really means.

Certain things are sins, that the church should stand for. And there are certain things that the church should be silent on. And while modesty is a virtue, it is also something that the church should not decide and make their own rules for. You can tell for yourself if you are being modest. And modesty here is different than modesty in another country. EX. In our country a modest bathing suit is a NOTwearing a super skimpy triangle top string bikini with your boobies floppin and your butt cheeks peeking. In another country it might be wearing a long skirt. It is cultural.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:31 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Some churches do not understand the power of the FINISHED work of the cross nor the power of God's grace and love.
    People in those churches did not understand that and decided to manipulate and control people. I call it spiritual abuse.

Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:32 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• By the way I wear a trendy yet modest bathing suit. I am not a grandma, but I don't want to look sexy and get treated like a piece of meat. I don't show off my cleavage or my figure. But I don't look like I am amish either.

It is a matter that you decide for yourself based on how God leads you. If someone wants to dress like that, it is fine for them. But to say that you are not close to God because you wear make up and have a cute stylish cut is wrong. That is not anywhere in the Bible and they have made up their own rules.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:33 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I guess you get indoctrinated?
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 5:54 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• According to my impression of spirituality and Christianity as a Christian myself, that is not only overboard but detrimental to the cause of Christ, oppressive and psychologically abusive.

I might be a little bit sensitive to it because I went to a non-denominational Christian school that happened to be overwhelmingly Pentecostal in regards to student and teachers beliefs at one time or another during my schooling. Let's just say I'm not Pentecostal. I was treated differently and more harshly by certain teachers and made to feel evil from time to time simply because I did not follow their specific strict set of rules. I was bullied for other reasons but the teachers did nothing to help me. To this day when I see a Pentecostal bullying someone about something it reminds me of the absolute lack of love and dispair I was made to feel as a child, by grown-ass adults, simply because I was different.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 6:05 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I feel for you lilmama :-( I never got slapped but I was once taken aside by a teacher, alone, and told that I was single-handedly responsible for the anguish and dispair of the entire student body because I am a manipulative and dangerous person (or something like that). I was TWELVE.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 6:10 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• A little overboard???  I would say it was WAYYYYYYYY over the top!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:27 PM on Jun. 26, 2009