no matter how hard I try he doesnt go to bed till 4am!

Help please. I was dealing with it but you all made it appareant that I can not have another baby when my current baby is never sleeping. He takes one nap but the time he takes it varies. He goes to bed at 4am and gets up at 12pm or 1pm...his nap is usually around 5 or 6 and he naps for about a half hour to an hour. I've tried getting him up earlier but it doesnt work! He will just take two naps and is back to going to bed at four am. If I dont let him nap he is very mean and grumpy! he's seventeen months and sleeps in his own bed in his own room now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Wow! 4 am? That must be tough. Maybe you just have to deal with the grumpiness during the day. I mean, does this schedule work for you? I'm assuming not if you're asking. Try getting him up at 8 or 9 in the morning, then, put him down for a nap in the mid-afternoon. He should be exhausted come 8 or 9 pm. I hope that works and you get some sleep soon!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:04 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• OP here. No it doesnt work for me but what he does when I get him up early like 8 or 9 and he is exhausted at 8 or 9 for bed he does pass otu and go to bed but only sleeps for about four or five hours and is ready to go for another eight!
    Anonymous

• Deal with him being mean and grumpy for a couple of days if you have to. Psych yourself up for it and just do it. Don't let him nap during the day and put him to bed at a decent hour, whatever you think that is. Once he starts going to sleep earlier you can allow him to nap earlier in the day then.

Even if you start doing it one hour earlier at a time until he's where you want him to be, you'll be making progress. Lay him down at 3am and wake him up at 11am, only allow one or NO naps. Just do it! Sounds like you aren't getting the sleep you want right now as it is.
    Anonymous

• i agree with anon on this one, if you can hang in there for a couple of days of his grumpiness then you should be able to adjust his schedual. its just gonna be real rough for the beginning but totally worth it. i mean, he is getting the right amount of sleep, its just the wrong hours of the day. naps are a little more complicated, i would let him take at least one nap during the day for at least an hour. if not for his own good, then for yours! we need those little breaks to keep our sanity! good luck! =)
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 6:31 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Have you made it too bright to sleep during the day and too dark to stay up at night? Start slowly turning lights down at 6 or 7 p.m. Turn off one corner light and then another and then the overhead. In the morning when you want him to be up, open the blinds, turn on the light and play some music.
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 10:40 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• i have the same proble with my 13 moth old baby girl same times and ever thing i do not know what to do any more i am so wore out form all of this is there any thing thay helped you if so then can u right me thank you
    Anonymous