My daughter is experiencing the 'only child syndrom', how do I get her out of it?

My daughter is getting ready to turn 6 years old tomorrow (June 27th). She is an only child. She just completed Kindergarten and has been promoted to the 1st grade. I don't want to see her being mean to the other kids, not sharing, not constantly interupting someone while they are speaking, and not saying nice things. She done all of that in Kindergarten and I've been trying to work with her to lessen the amount of times it happens. But I want some fresh ideas as to what all I can do to help with turning those behaviors around into more positive behaviors. Any ideas/suggestions?

lvns2my1

Asked by lvns2my1 at 5:19 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would give her as much time as possible to play with other kids. I would also try as hard as you can to resist the temptation to step in and moderate her play. Let her work things out with her friends as much as possible. This is a lesson she really won't learn from you, but from other kids. When she gets a little older and one of her friends doesn't want to play with her anymore she'll understand what you've been telling her.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 6:26 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• You could have another child, just kidding!

Honestly, there a certain personality traits that go along with being an only child.  I don't think you can completely combat that.  Only children are much more assertive than children with siblings. This can be difficult, especially when they are young.  On the other hand, when she gets older this will help her out in life. Only children tend be very high achieving adolescents and adults.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 6:23 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Classes like martial arts and dance teach discipline, working together, and sharing.

My daughter is only 3 but she is an "only child" and doesn't show most of the traits you mention as part of the "only child syndrome". She loves to share, loves to work with and play with other kids, is learning to not talk over others and to interrupt politely when needed, and doesn't say mean things to anyone. Being an "only" doesn't doom a child to be mean or spoiled. Different children have different temperaments, learn things at different rates, and it has little to do with birth order (or lack thereof) - get yours involved in some highly disciplined activities and watch her catch up with her peers fast.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:22 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• i am a teacher and it's easy to pinpoint the only children. unfortunately, the older they get, the worse they get. most only children in my class lack friends as well because of how bossy and bratty they are. i agree with the other girls, you need to involve her in activities with other kids A LOT. Good Luck on this one.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:24 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Give her a sibling, j/k!
    Nanna22

Answer by Nanna22 at 9:23 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• There is not only child syndrome first off. My son is 6 will be 7 in September and just completed 1st grade. He has manners and was very well liked in school. He shares and is not spoiled at all. We have been consistant with him and taught him to be kind and nice to others. Your daughter is who she is and having another child will not make her share or behave. My brother has three kids they do not share and are not very nice kids most of the time. They buy their kids everything and spoil them rotten. Change the way you treat her. As for the person claiming to be a teacher in the post above my own they have no clue. Only children actually tend to be better behaved, more independent, are better at sharing and usually perform better in school.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:28 AM on Jun. 28, 2009