How can I stand out amoungst the crowd?

After being laid off for 6 months, I finally got an interview yesterday! It went really well and I know I would really like the job. problem is they recieved 70 resumes for this position and narrowed it down to 12 and interviewed 12 people, thats when I interviewed yesterday. Now they have narrowed it down to 3 candidates and I have to go back next week for a second interview and meet the rest of the staff in that dept. I was told that all 3 candidates (including myself) are ALL highly skilled and very qualified. It's an employers market! UGH! my question is, what could I do to stand out amoungst the rest? What could I do to gain an edge? Any ideas? I already sent a thank you letter.

Scoobersmom

Asked by Scoobersmom at 5:29 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Money & Work

• just dress look and act proffesional
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 5:35 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Turn your inner light on. Glow. Smile. Look them in the eyes. Shake hands firmly. Act confident. Remember the whistle a happy tune song? The singer is afraid, but she finds by whistling as though she is brave, she is brave. So you act friendly, so that it seems that not only are you qualified, but you would be a good person to work with. Of course don't go over the line into arrogant, keep it light and friendly. You may already be past this stage, but be sure you know about the business and what you can contribute. Why it would be a good idea for them to hire you. Please post a follow up and let us know how it went?

Answer by Bmat at 5:36 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• If you haven't done so already, pull up statistics including financial trends on your potential new employer, and discuss how you "feel confident that you will be an asset to helping the company's meet it's financial goals and objectives"

If a financial history isn't available, then be sure to ask THEM questions pertaining to THEIR goals and objectives, and be sure to include specific examples and ideas you have based on your knowledge and experience to help grow the company.

Companies want to know you are focused, dedicated to the TEAM philosophy, task oriented, have fresh ideas, and want the company to succeed! They want assets not burdens. DO not discuss any personal issues such a child care conflicts (if any) should overtime or travel be required...keep everything positive and a "can do!" attitude...worry about the details AFTER you sign on the dotted line.

Good luck!!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:41 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I do career and job search coaching. If you would like some help preparing for the next round of interviews, please contact me.

- Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 6:07 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• When i got hired recently it was because of a combination of my resume, and the fact i researched the company. and i made sure to let them know that, along with being excited to work for them i just smiled and laughed and tried to be as comfy as possible in my own skin with them its hard...but just practice before your interview!! GL!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 11:26 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Be a little early, but not annoyingly. Practice, research the company, and be yourself. Most likely you'll be working with the people who interview you, so even though you're nervous, if you act to dry they might not feel compatible. Also, keep in mind that out of 70, you're in the top 3, so that alone should be a confidence booster for you! Best wishes!
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 12:47 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Let us know how it goes!
    tcarter1981