Door to door magazines (please help sounds like a scam)

I have a friend who was just offered a job selling magazines door to door. They are supposed to pay his bus fare there (3 hours away), and put him up in a hotel. I started looking online because the whole idea sent up red flags to me, and am finding nothing but horror stories. Anyone know anything about this? If you know something please respond because he is supposed to leave at 9 AM.

ColleenF30

Asked by ColleenF30 at 5:35 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Money & Work

• Just be on call for your friend...and try and talk him out of this job..fast food is better...
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 12:38 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Door to door magazines is one of those sales things I hate. Even phone solicitation would be better.

Answer by Bmat at 5:59 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I'm in sales and don't even suggest going door to door anymore Its just not safe. Besides they'll run him to death and give him pennies. Not a scam but not a good deal either!
    Anonymous

• That is what I was afraid of. He said they are paying his way there, and putting him up in a hotel. From what I have read they put about 10 to a room, and refuse to give you the money if you want to come back home.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 6:44 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• *sigh* big relief. I somehow talked him out of it. I showed him what I had found online and he decided he isn't even calling them back. Thanks ladies!!!!
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:39 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I don't think I would do it. There are people who do it in my area and it's really annoying. Sounds like a waste of time to me.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 12:43 AM on Jun. 27, 2009