Since WHEN does it take 8 wks for an autopsy?

Wouldn't the body be dead-rotted by then??

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1614801/20090626/jackson_michael.jhtml

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:56 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I had a screening at a hospital once when I was in a car wreck. I wasn't on anything, but they gave me a printout of EVERYTHING and anything in my system, AND the amounts. They gave me the printout before I even left the hospital, and I was only there for 4 hrs.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:11 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Um no it wouldn't. They preserve the body and put it a "fridge" after they get what they need from the body and yes some can take that long.

Anonymous

• Its doesnt I think you may have misunderstood something, an autopsy itself only takes a day and is usually done the day after someone has passed, now a Toxicology report which is part of the autopsy takes 6-8 weeks to get the results back from the test but just like the autopsy the toxicology test is performed the same day KWIM
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 6:02 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• No I think they held Anna Nicole's longer then that
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 6:09 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Its very common if there are questions about the cause of death, its not the autopsy per se but the cause of death. It also takes time for things like pharmacology and toxicology results to come back as well as any in depth tissue samples to be run as well. They usually will not release the body until they are sure they will not need anything else from it, that can actually take a few weeks. For example, if they find muscle damage in the heart muscles that could be related to a drug issue they will have to go back and draw blood and have that run. It can take a lot of time, plus the coroner is usually having to deal with more then one body at a time (and are usually understaffed) and if it is a public case they will want everything dotted and crossed as well.
    reelo

Answer by reelo at 6:09 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• but yet when they are drug testing you at the hospital, it takes an hour or two....hmm....smells fishy to me.
    Anonymous

• He most likely over dosed since it is reported he was on ALOT of meds at the time of death .
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 6:14 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• They did the autopsy today it can take up to 8 weeks for toxicology results
    Anonymous

• Anon: they dont' screen for MEDICATION when you do a pee test. They screen for illegal drugs and see if you have any in your system. It take sway longe rto determine if they have enough say heroin in their system to have OD'd. They can tell the person has it in there but not the measurement
    Anonymous

• Anon:20 is exactly right. When you do a test like say in an ER it is a 'presumptive' test meaning it can detect the presence of a substance but it cannot quantify it. The only quantitative form of drug testing that can come back ina few hours is a blood alcohol. Toxicology requires in depth testing of tissues and fluids in multiple ways usually. An bodies at a coroners office are always ina reefer room.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:47 PM on Jun. 26, 2009