Does letting your LO in the bathroom w/you help w/ potty training?

My DH is weird about not wanting DS in the bathroom with him when he pees, but I think it will really help DS grasp the concept of potty training. I let him in with me but it's different watching mommy than daddy. Do you think it makes a difference? Oh, and DS is 18 mos.

Mommy2Nikolas

Asked by Mommy2Nikolas at 6:01 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My oldest is 19 months, and I let him come in the bathroom with me and sit on his potty while im sitting on mine. I think it helps to get them ready and understand the concept of what their potty is for.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 6:02 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• since I am single, I have had to potty train my DD and my DS. I let them come in the bathroom with me to *show em what to do*
    Anonymous

• yes it helps. Children learn what they live. He shows the child how to do it correctly. Tell him to suck it up and show his son how it's done.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:08 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• my son isnt quite ready to potty train, but I would think that having him hang out in the bathroom with you could be helpful especially if you describe what you're doing: "mama is going pee pee in the potty!"
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 6:27 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• WTf i dont think men really get it. Babies learn by seeing. Going to the potty is no different. Both my mother and I let my son watch, we let him listen and tell him its the pee pee. I honestly think letting them watch does make a difference. A girl i used to babysit almost from birth used to watch me go and would sit on her potty when I would go. Half the time there was pee pee when she got up! I was so proud! So anyway thats my answer...
    SillyMomma

Answer by SillyMomma at 8:07 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• He really does need to watch dad, it helps a TON!!!
    clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 8:07 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• My dd is 19 mo and has been watching me go to the potty for a few months now. She knows the routine and sits on her potty while I sit on mine. She has been telling me when she wants to poo and knows how to do this. I think it helps sooo much because they get more comfortable with the idea IMO
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 8:22 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• monkey see monkey do
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 11:35 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• my husband is very helpful i told him his little boy would pee like a girl if daddy didnt help now he is all over it
    littleleesmom

Answer by littleleesmom at 11:46 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Thanks ladies!!! I'll definitely let hubby read your replies!
    Mommy2Nikolas

Answer by Mommy2Nikolas at 12:18 AM on Jun. 27, 2009