Does this sound familiar to any tween moms?

I am beat. I couldn't wait to relax and see Sleepless in Seattle. My 12 yo asked me to go upstairs to watch so she could watch a show we get better downstairs. OK. I had just lugged the stuff for an only me tea party. So, back up stairs. Turns out, it would be over by the time her ishow starts. Back downstairs. I think, forget it. I don't want to move again. Back upstairs. I get upstairs an the DVD goes in. I think she knew, as I did, it was broken. I figured he father must have fixed it. Guess what? It still doesn't work. "Back downstairs, she says." Forget it. I feel like she yanks my chain 24/7. Do you think this is some evil revenge or is she not really getting what she is doing? Prior to that see told me she knew how to get into the Wii store. Guess what? I sat there and - nada. If I wasn't so exhausted, I would have done it myself and not ended up in that situation. I feel like a sucker!

happi-ladi

Asked by happi-ladi at 6:25 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Some of this sounds familiar, but I don't let my child tell me what to do.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:17 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Thanks for that honesty. I do what I don't want to do, "to be nice". I end up being frustrated, giving up on what I want and she gets what she wants. That's rediculous. I have been pretty much a rug around here. I am feeling better about myself and chaning things with my family. I need help though. You gave it.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 8:37 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• You don't know about the evil plot? Why just the other day I was cleaning my sons room and as I pulled the tenth dirty sock and wet towel out of the toy box, I saw it! It was an intricate plan for world domination by tweens!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 10:09 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I am happy that I could help. As parents, our job is to raise responsible human beings, not let our children do what they want. It is so important to set limits and boundaries and be consistent with rewards and discipline.
    I guarantee that she will whine and complain; just send her to her room, with instructions to come out when her snit is over.
    My daughter is almost 14, and I can tell you that it will just get worse...

Answer by rkoloms at 10:13 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Nope, my son does NOT tell me what to do. He is the child and I am the parent. He does what I tell him to do. I taught my son to respect me and do what he is told. He can TRY whatever he wants but that doesn't mean he gets his way.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:11 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Thank you ladies. I am turning over a new leaf. I actually have a 17 year old who does everything she is asked the first time. This second child was born with a strong will and I remember thinking I better get it under controle during the terrible twos or I would have a heck of a time in the teen years. I hope it isn't true. She is a darling and I love her so, she's got to learn it isn't going to continue like this. (P.S. I also believe that they believe they already rule the world!)
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 10:38 PM on Jun. 27, 2009