Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My Landlord is a "SLUM LORD" What should I do ???

I have been renting this house for 4 years and my landlord has a big problem with fixing things in a timly manner. I got our city on him for the wondows not being able to open (fire hazzard) and also all the over grown shit in my back yard that he still hasnt taken care of . I heard that a landlord is supposed to replace the carpet in rental properties every 5 years.I cant even get him to replace my kitchen sink that is making a horrible squealing noice when I turn on the water. I want to move so bad and buy a house but my hubby and I arent ready yet. (credit issues I assume) So how do I get him to take care of things around here? Theres been a leak in my hall way since i moved in here and he still wont fix it and my carpet i believe now is moldy underneath. I have 3 small children and my youngest is learning to crawl and always crawls over the wet puddle in my hall way.I dont know what else to do ... Please I need advice

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:35 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Health

Answers (6)
  • try getting a handyman and have the landlord pay! First ask permission then if he says no I would pay minimal amt. to fix place up myself. It may not be a palace but it is all your kids know! My maintanance man charges $30.00 a visit si I am looking for a nice handyman too. Try craigslist just be careful maybe you can even barter for it? I know how you fee been renting for 10 years,lol but it is a lot of good memories!!

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:40 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

  • when is your lease up? why not rent someplace else before buying a house? I had a slumlord 2 houses ago. my room had a ceiling leak and the guy he sent over to fix it was there for a good 5 hours and even took many smoke breaks (not too mention it took about 2 weeks to get fixed, and it was a small hole). we had black mold in the kitchen and on the roof...when I pointed it out his wife said "oooooh it's south geooooooorgia". my friends and I laugh about it now, but were really pissed at the time. He even refused to give me my security deposit because I missed dusting off a few fan blades when I moved out. he gave me half of it and I was fine with that, I just wanted him out of my life lol. you mentioned you contacted the city...maybe call them again and mean business? or contact the BBB and make a report.

    Answer by Owl_Feather at 6:41 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

  • look up renters rights in your state and then turn his ass in, that is not okay by any means what so ever. I would write him a letter first stating all the problems with the house and send it to him and keep a copy for yourself and if that don't help that way you have proof that you did tell him about the issues, just in case it gets legal, then turn his ass in.

    Answer by looovemybabies at 6:42 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

  • p.s. invest in lots of cleaning supplies too keep the maintanance up as best you can and they should replace both of our carpets,may God Bless you! What a good mom even to care but do kill any pesty fruit flies b4 they breed all over do not let it get too damp in your rental!

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:44 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

  • try fans I am selling fans in the cafe mom marketplace! by the way,lol

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:47 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

  • Call your city's Board of Health.

    Answer by rkoloms at 6:51 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.