Why can't I find a good old fashioned gardener?

That's all I want, some one to plant a few pansies and weed. I don't know the first thing about gardening, thanks to living in apartments all my life. I am phobic about snakes so I am terrified to try to pull weeds. I don't need a landscaper and that's like all anyone does anymore, I don't want retaining walls, or anything fancy and that's all the landscapers care about. I can't afford that right now. If our small town had a "gardening club" I would try there, but we don't. Our house looks horrible because I truly can't tell what's a flower and what's a weed. My neighbors aren't much help either, one said she didn't know what the old lady who lived here before had planted. But another woman, said oh yes she does, she just wants our house to look bad, compared to hers. Any ideas on finding a gardener?

Lesli

Asked by Lesli at 6:59 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I have a fear of frogs and toads-I know weird- so I completely sympathesize. I can't weed to save my life because I swear those things know that I am afraid of them and they show up everywhere that I am-even my basement. lol
    When we first moved into our house, I went to a local nursery and spoke with them about what I had. I took pictures of my yard with me. Not only were they able to help me determine what was a flower and what was a weed, they helped me figure out which plants were high maintence and definately not something I wanted to keep. They also helped me figure out what plants I wanted/needed to add and the best way to keep the weeds under control so I wouldn't have to spend a lot time weeding which I don't have. They didn't charge me a dime but I spent some money on weed control while I was there so I don't know if it would have been free if I didn't buy something.
    oh_tracie

Answer by oh_tracie at 9:33 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Post a want ad on Craigslist, or ask around the neighborhood to see if there are any teens interested in a summer job.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:15 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Do any of your neighbors use gardeners? Look at the houses you like and then ask the owner who they use. A lot of gardeners don't do craigslist, they build their businesses through referrals.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:22 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• There is a ton of great information here: http://www.organicgardening.com/
    You can take a gardening class
    You can ask lots of question at a local plant store or hardware store with a plant department.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:55 PM on Jun. 26, 2009