Babies and biting?

I have a 12 month old who just cut her 1st 2 teeth about a month ago. She has 3 coming in on the top row and is teething like crazy. All she wants to do is bite. She is chewing on everything and anything she can find. She was playing with her 5 yr old Brother and bit him hard on the cheek. So hard that she cut thru the skin. It was so sad, he started crying and then she started crying and I put her in time out on a time out chair we have. The day before we were at a playdate and she went to bite one of the babies, I caught her and grabbed her before she did and again I told her NO and put her in time out on the park bench. My 2 boys never bit anyone and handled teething really well so I have never dealt with this and am not sure what to do. I have heard of biting them back but don't agree with that (if they see mommy bite then they think it's okay) and I don't spank. Can you please tell me what you have done that has worked...

mommymine3

Asked by mommymine3 at 7:31 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• give her a frozen wet washcloth. honestly, we bought our daughter a couple of dog chew toys

Answer by rkoloms at 7:54 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Here are some cute kid books about no biting  http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom3-20?node=22&page=4   Age appropriate books help kids to understand.  Also, I"ve heard that  that a vibrating teether works wonders http://astore.amazon.com/www.cjkidzcom6-20?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=23 

Might be worth a try.

momjs

Answer by momjs at 9:56 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I am proud of you for not biting back or hitting!!!
    The frozen washcloths worked for us, too. Wet one, squeeze all the water out, fold or roll it to the size of her mouth, place it in a baggie, and let it freeze. Once frozen, take out of baggie and let her chew to her heart's content.
    Best wishes!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 12:16 PM on Jun. 27, 2009