Please don't bash me!! I am asking for advice.

My ds has watched an action movie and now he shoots people and tells them their dead. He even lays down and says he is dead. I've tried to explain to him that death means that people go bye-bye and don't come back. I told him it is sad and I tell him that guns hurt people and it's not a game. Please tell me how to talk to my two year-old about this. Please don't bash me. I am simply asking for advice to discourage this behavior.

TinkTink205

Asked by TinkTink205 at 7:31 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds good what you have said already. Just keep talking to him about it the way you are. Just ignore the mean people.

Anonymous

• I think you've done just great already.
    Elda90042

Answer by Elda90042 at 7:34 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• All kids play like this at one point. I dont think there is really anything you can do about it. they dont understand fully what a gun really is. i understand you dont want him to do it but telling him not to is just like telling him not to play hide and seek
    mommadent

Answer by mommadent at 7:34 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• My 3 year old does the SAME THING!!
    Even if there are sleeping he says "Mama he/she is dead" and i tell him "no they are sleeping" and when he has a scab he says " I got killed" It makes me upset.
    effie777

Answer by effie777 at 7:37 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I wouldn't even try to explain it to him. It might be TMI for his little mind to take in. I would just tell him that it is not nice to aim at people (point at people, period) and to say that they are dead. And when he acts as if he is dead, just give him a big hug and tell him "that is not nice to say", and then change the subject.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 7:45 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Well I agree with everyone else. I am not trying to bash you what so ever but, Why are you allowing him to watch movies/shows like that?
    Anonymous

• I think it's kind of ingrained into little boys' brains already! Mine says "broken" instead of dead, but he does "shoot" people, and it doesn't take much!
    Just keep doing what you're doing, he's just playing at this point. I can tell you my brothers have never killed anyone, they fully understand what death is now, but they shot me countless times in our childhood.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 7:52 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Wow I guess you know you shouldn't have let him watch the movie but its too late for that, you live and you learn. No big. Just watch what he watchs from now on!!! ANYWAY Play on his emotions. Say it makes you VERY sad when he does that and you want him to stop, that will make you happy. Also watch when he starts playing video games. My nephew went around shooting and making those noises. Ahhh media these days...
    SillyMomma

Answer by SillyMomma at 7:55 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I think it's a little boy thing because my friend's kid does that too. Just keep talking to him about it. It will sink in eventually. And idk if you have guns in your home, but make sure you keep them locked up. You don't want him thinking it's a toy and having an accident.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 8:08 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• You have done what you can, boys are boys. I tried to keep guns from my ds and at two he made one from legos and was shooting things. I never really have tv on, and normally only playhouse disney or Thomas, so he didn't get it from us. It is just imbred!
    clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 8:12 PM on Jun. 26, 2009