breastfeeding

Is there ever a time that you are ready to stop breastfeeding. I know its time, but being kind of selfish because I enjoy it so much. It would to stop because I am away a lot and he is so attached...especially at bedtime. I guess I need some moral support. I know that there are some die hard bf moms out there so it would be nice to not have anyone make me feel guilty on this subject.

michiganmommy11

Asked by michiganmommy11 at 7:48 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think its diff for everyone. For me it just came so natural. We were both ready. I had it down to two times a day and then once a day, then every other day, then we just stopped...dd was okay with it and so was I even though I planned on going till she was 18 mos. We did make it to 16 though.
    LilMzMa

Answer by LilMzMa at 7:53 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• If you enjoy it, and clearly your child isnt over 12 months or you wouldnt be posting the question here, then why would you stop? Many doctors encourage breastfeeding until the age of 2.

Not trying to make you feel bad at all. every woman is different. Just curious as why you feel that it is time.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 7:54 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• My son is fifteen month and I'm four months pregnant. Its a good time to stop for me lol. My boy is also attached. He loves the snuggling. I asked a question about it the other day and a woman told me it was the wrong time and he would take it out on the new baby later. Even tho I want to stop before he knows it has anything to do with the baby. My milk is drying up so my boobs are starting to hurt. I have made it to almost 16 months. I think I have gotten past the "they need it" part. But this lady insists that its the wrong time and i need to work through the pain, dryness, and growing belly. I am all for breastfeeding. (obviously) But I also have nothing against formula. How long do some of these people wants kids to nurse. If I nurse him until the next baby starts He will be like three. No thanks. lol. Theres nothing wrong with it.. Just not for me. What I'm getting at is its really up to you when to stop. Good Luck.
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 7:55 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• IDK how old yours is, but yes. if you're at the point that you're ready to stop find a replacement routine. Sometimes baby will just stiop on their own. I've had it happen before. I see nothing wrong if you want to keep the bedtime feeding, but if you are ready to quit completely go for it. They do adjust to the change pretty quickly. And you can move on to a different routine and still have that bonding experience.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:56 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I really think that hes ready more than me. He is 8mo and I planned for a year. I wasn't able to nurse our first, so I think if things were different I would be ready right now. He just doesn't seem to want to nurse anymore and is very distracted, even if we are in a quiet room all by ourselves. We are on vacation this week and I think this is a good time to stop.
    michiganmommy11

Answer by michiganmommy11 at 8:02 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Personally I think since he nutritionally still needs it you should still nurse til a year, otherwise you'll have to spend money and time getting formula when you could just provide better milk for free, from 8 months to a year it goes down to them only needing 4-5 nursings a day to get all the milk they need. I understand feeling done, but remember that he still NEEDS it. Oh and at 8-9 months theres a big growth spurt and emotional and physical development that maens cutting back on interest in nursing, doesn't mean he doesn't need it or that he is ready to wean.

Stop if you want but go get that boy some formula, he needs it nutritionally.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:10 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• The World Health Organization recommends until atleast 2 years of age. :) My lil girl will be 2 next month and I still breast feed a little. :)
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 9:07 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• The World Health Organization, operating without the influences of the dairy, formula and porn industries (unlike American doctors) recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 24 months. Remember that cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 9:19 PM on Jun. 26, 2009