Extended Breastfeeders

My dd is 15 months old and I still nurse her on demand. She eats table food whenever her siblings or I do, but not very much sometimes only a couple of bites. Occasionally she'll eat more like 2 whole hotdogs or a whole sandwich. Anyway, my question is should I be limiting the amount she nurses and try to feed her more solid foods at this point, or just continue on letting her basically eat and drink what she wants? She's always been a little under average for height and weight, she's a peanut, but has been growing along her own little curve steadily so I'm not too worried about her not gaining as she should right now. At her 12 month appointment she was 19lbs., so she's just over 20lbs. now. (He doctor at her 12 month told me she wanted me to night wean and nurse MAX 3 times a day, preferably only twice but I believe in allowing her to self wean so I didn't follow those instructions)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:53 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Even kids who are not on the boob tend to be very picky eaters, and some days barely eat anything it all. That's all very normal.

The only thing I would suggest changing is feed her real food first, then nurse. Continue to offer her meals and snacks as normal.

My dd is 2, and we just mutually day weaned, and she still has the same eating habits (some days she eats like a champ, other's she takes 2 bites and is done). She nurses 3 times at night (once at bedtime, once when she wakes, and once early in the morning so I can sleep some more, lol).

And I agree that you should ignore your peds advice :)

You're doing great, wtg!
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 8:14 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• It's really your choice, but have you thought about pumping and putting it in a sippy cup? Have you been trying milk? Either way, I think you should be giving her 3 meals a day and they say milk with meals, juice and water with snacks. I know it doesn't seem like it, but she's 15 months old, she's growing up and needs to be treated like it. If you treat her like a baby for to long, she could have problems developing with the rest of her age group.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 8:03 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Don't listen to your dr, you nurse her when ever she wants, as long as you are ok with it. Offer her healthy meals and snacks, let her nurse, she will be fine. Don't offer to nurse, only when she asks. My oldest selfweaned at 14 months, over night, but he kept night nursing once a night until then. She knows what she needs mom, you are doing great.
    clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 8:10 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• She has no issues as far as development, as a matter of fact she is more advanced than her two older brother's were at this age. She does eat when we do, like I said, she just doesn't eat a lot most of the time. It's not the only thing she drinks, at meals she gets water or milk and during the day she always has a sippy of water available to her. She will not take pumped milk in a cup, never took it from a bottle and won't from a cup.
    Anonymous

• Thanks, clovismommy25 and Arkaidy. That's really what I was wondering, if it was normal for her age to eat like that or if it's because she still nurses often that she's just not very hungry. I couldn't breastfeed my oldest, and my middle son has always been a VERY hearty eater and only nursed until 8 1/2 months, so I don't have anything to compare her to.
    Anonymous

• As far as b/fing goes, JMO, it should stop when the child begins to walk. There's no reason at over one year old she can't have solid foods. If you let her continue, you'll be b/fing for years to come.
    atowers

Answer by atowers at 8:39 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• The World Health Organization, operating without the influences of the dairy, formula and porn industries (unlike American doctors) recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 24 months. Certainly give her a sippy cup with water, and make sure that she is eating a variety of healthy foods: fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, lentils, tofu, etc.
    Remember that cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 8:47 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• LOL, so I should have stopped breastfeeding her at 9 months old then? That's when she started walking. Or how about, "when they can ask for it, it should stop", do you agree with that? Because she's been doing the sign language for "Milk" when she wants to nurse since she was 7 months old, should I have stopped then? Again, she eats SOLID foods every time her siblings or I do, she also drinks water throughout the day and cows milk at meals, I didn't say she was exclusively breastfed. And seriously, if I don't stop soon I'll be doing it for years to come? How many 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 year olds have you seen breastfeeding who were nursed pasted 12 months? The beneficial properties of breastmilk and the benefits to nursing (for mother and baby) don't just stop the second they turn 12 months old. If we make it to 2 she will get it in a cup, if she won't take it she doesn't want it that bad and we're done, until then it's up to her.
    Anonymous

• As far as b/fing goes, JMO, it should stop when the child begins to self wean. There's no reason at over one year old she can't have solid foods and breast milk. If you let her continue, you might be b/fing for years to come or she may self wean in the next few months.

LOL.... this is kinda like adlibs for me tonight!

Anonymous

• LOL anon 50, that's funny.
    Anonymous