how bad is it to not have the carseat in the middle?

we just got a honda element bc it was a great deal, but now i feel so bad since it only has 2 seats in back. is it really dangerous for them to be on the sides?

dbodani

Asked by dbodani at 8:10 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I feel like its more dangerous, because of the side impact crashes, but hey you can't help it tho right?!? I have a car, but my hubby has a little Ford Ranger, I don't let DD ride in the carseat with him 1) because there isn't a backseat, and 2) because she'd have to go next to the door... But I know that if worse came to worse and he had to go somewhere with her then she'd have to go in the truck if my car was unavailable... You gotta do what you gotta do. Don't worry too much about it, and just be careful when driving! :)
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 8:21 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Ya know, i wonder about that myself. I have an Explorer and it has 3 seats in the back, but it's split 2/3rds so you can lay the seat down only part way if you want. Problem with that is, when i put my DS's convertible seat there, it falls in the crack and leans really bad. It doesn't matter how tight i make it, or how far away from the crack i put it, it ALWAYS leans. So he is by the door. Also, DS#2 is coming in September and i really dont want to put the infant seat right next to big brother and his flying toys....so they'll both be on the sides. It freaks me out, but i dont know what else to do?
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 8:21 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• My son has never really been in the middle. My husband is really tall and if the car seat is in the middle he can't put his seat back far enough so the carseat has to be on the opposite side from him. Once our son can face forward then he'll probably be in the middle.
    Anonymous

• my DD has always been behind me in the car seat never in the middle not in the travel carseat or in the 3-in-1 but i have side airbags front airbags tons of airbags lol got like 5 in each door i swear so it works
    preggoinmn

Answer by preggoinmn at 8:33 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Its statistically better to be in the middle, but if there is no middle then the side is just fine. I have a minivan...there is no real middle except in the far back...and my sons seat is so wide none of my other kids seats could fit on either side so he'd be back there by himself. He sits behind the driver and can see his brothers in the back and daddy in the mirror...btw I'm a carseat nazi...and as long as you get a great install and your seat has side impact protection(all infant seats do...make sure when you get a convertible it does...like the Truefit or a Britax) you baby will be fine on the side.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:36 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• The safest place for a carseat is where you get the best installation. Look at it this way, you get the best install on the side rather then the non exsistant middle.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:25 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• As long as they're in the back, that's the safest place of them. Most cars aren't actually properly equiped to put a carseat in the middle.
    nerdyma7

Answer by nerdyma7 at 1:15 AM on Jun. 27, 2009