• In the Spotlight:

I am interested in Home schooling my kids and would like to know how to get started?? I would appreciated any advice or info anyone could give me.Thank you all.

Hi my name is Mary I live in Illinois. I am a mother of 2 boys ages 3 and 5 I want to Home school them and I don't know where to get started??? I would appreciate any info and advice anyone has to offer. Thank you all.

Mary022

Asked by Mary022 at 8:32 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• A good place to start would be hslda.org you can find the homeschool laws in your state on that site.  You can go from there once you know what will be expected of you.  My husband and I are both homeschool graduates, and plan to homeschool our children, although we're a ways away from that yet as they are currently 16 1/2 months old and 4 1/2 months old.  I'd be happy to chat and answer any questions that I can if you want to message me =)

dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 8:36 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Hello! I am a teacher!

Homeschooling is a fine way to receive an education, if it is done correctly. To do it correctly it takes, time, patience, WORK, WORK, WORK and more work from you. It can be done, but you have do be serious about it.

The first thing I would do is to find a local homeschooling group, every area has one or two. JOIN, they should accept you readily. LEARN from them, they know more about it than anyone.

You will need to set up a curriculum to be sure you cover all areas of learning, you will also need to invest a good bit of money on supplies such as books, learning toys, and if possible, a desk or nice separate table for him to do work on. It needs to be separate to get the most benifit.

Also remember even though you will be home schooling, he still needs friend time and outings, which is why you join the homeschool group.

cont:
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:36 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• The children from the homeschool group become his peers and friends and provide groups to go places with, like the park or the local museum.

You may be able to find a homeschool group through a local church, or ask you pediatrician. Both of those places usually know a way of contacting a group.

Good Luck and get to work!!! That 5 year old needs to start soon! ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:38 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• you can find new and used cirriculums online, just google it! there is also lots of printable worksheets and art ideas.
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 9:42 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Check out the Happy Homeschoolers group here on CM. Over 4000 members, and lots of good advice and support to be had.

Also, check your library for books on homeschooling. There are lots of styles and methods out there. Good luck!
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:36 PM on Jun. 26, 2009