Why can't I ever just enjoy my life?

I have a great husband, great kids, a nice house, nice vehicles, and a good relationship with most of the people in my life. My husband just got a job promotion, my kids are having a great summer, I mean the list can go on and on... the only thing is that I live my life always worried that something bad is going to happen. It is like I can't just relax and enjoy because if I do, then that is when the ground is going to open up and swallow us. Why?
Just to mention, that I had a hard childhood, and so maybe I am not used to things being good...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:39 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Relationships

• Or maybe you're a touch depressed? I mean you may need to help your serotonin, etc. along.
    There are many people in the world who seem to have it all and still need medication occasionally.

Try talking with a psychologist first.

Good luck~
    Anonymous

• I think you might have an anxiety disorder, or something on that line. I remember a few years ago seeing commercials on TV about people who were constantly worried about bad things happening. They could never be happy. You need to talk to your doctor about this. It might be a disorder that can be treated. I would think it would be easier to talk to your doctor and it be nothing than go on living like this. Good luck.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 8:58 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I have suffered from this in the past. I was a tad depressed and didn't realize it. I got on something for awhile and could not believe the difference. I was shocked because I didn't think I needed it, but it really helped. I know how you feel, my hubby was bringing in $2000 a week and I was a sahm. Next thing I knew he had his hand crushed severly and got put out of work. Now we have nothing again. I see it this way, life is like a heart monitor. The line on the screen goes up and down up and down, that's what is healthy and normal, when that line goes flat we should be worried.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 9:29 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I grew up with my dad always getting mad at me,so when I became an adult I struggled with relaxing and I feel guilty when things are going good,like I don't deserve them to.
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 11:09 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• yeah, that's part of a disorder. You can talk to a therapist and they can teach you how to allow yourself to relax and believe you deserve good things. It took my therapist a while but he managed to help me and now I'm happier than I've ever been.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:28 PM on Jun. 26, 2009