Picky 7 year old

My 7 year old is the pickiest eater you have ever seen. She doesnt even like pizza!!! The only meat she will eat is chicken nuggets, or pork sausage. The rest of her menu is very plain...things like chicken ramen noodles, or just plain noodles with butter and salt. She will eat most cereal, and any kind of junk. And of course french fries. If we try to feed her hamburgers or any kind of vegetable or anything that she does not want she cries and whines and while I am strong about it and dont normally give in, her dad always gives her whatever he wants when she cries. Im just tired of making 2 different meals every night. I told her dad that if we give her what we eat and she refuses to eat it, that she will NOT starve if she has to wait until breakfast. But he wont go for that. How can I convince him not to keep giving in to her, and how can I get her to eat what we eat without crying???

Jessaroo1987

Asked by Jessaroo1987 at 9:26 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• you should try to teach her that she has it way better than most kids.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 9:38 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Here is a scary statistic. By the end of next year, 50% of American children will be overweight and undernourished. 1/3 of our children will develop type 2 Diabetes.

Cooking healt meals, force nothing, and lead by setting a good example. Discuss healthy eating, what is healthy, and don't bring junk food into the house.

Leading by example (making/eating healthy foods each day) is the most powerful tool there is!

Kids love to dip: fruit & yogurt; veggies & hummus or salad dressing; whole wheat pasta & peanut or marinara sauce.
    I have a ton of healthy, tasty, family and budget friendly recipes. I can list some; contact me for recipes.
    Noodles & veggies with peanut sauce
    Veggie pot pie
    Lentil tacos
    Squashed macaroni
    Sweet potato & black bean burritos
    Sloppy jojos (made with lentils)
    Italian stew
    Mediterranean Vegetable Stew with Poached Eggs
    Veggie stew with dumplings (crockpot)

Answer by rkoloms at 10:17 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Kids love to dip: fruit & yogurt; veggies & hummus or salad dressing; whole wheat pasta & peanut or marinara sauce.
    Noodles & veggies with peanut sauce
    Veggie pot pie
    Lentil tacos
    Squashed macaroni
    Sweet potato & black bean burritos
    Sloppy jojos (made with lentils)
    Italian stew
    Veggie stew with dumplings (crockpot)
    Southwest falafel (bean patties with avocado sauce)
    Tofu "fish sticks" with sweet potato or acorn squash baked "fries"
    General Tsao’s Tofu
    Tamale Bean Pie
    The rule at our house is you try 3 bites of dinner, if you don't like it you get (yourself) toast with peanut butter & honey with an apple

• sorry but I'm with dad. I had 3 picky eaters and we got through it. It is about compromise. Don't make your child hate you over food.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:09 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• rkoloms..she will never eat any of that stuff. beleive me.... and she doesnt like to dip. she hates any kind of sauce. when we eat spaghetti we have to give her plain noodles. she hates ketchup. I really dont think any of yall understand how picky she really is. She eats next to NOTHING. And I don't agree with her dad, I think she needs to learn that money is tight and she shouldnt be so greedy.
    Jessaroo1987

Answer by Jessaroo1987 at 1:26 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• OK! So.....Im sooooo with you right now! My six yr old is the SAME way sometimes. Love junk food, like cake and cookies, and LOVES mac n cheese, Hot dogs, McDonalds, blah blah blah. So: since she was always wanting this stuff for breakfast lunch and dinner: I stopped buying it. I am a single mom, however i make us dinner with chicken, mashed potatoes, salad, ect. and she wants MAC n cheese. UGGGGGG!!!! And, I would make it for her. Ugggggggg! But, since i have been going and getting groceries by myself after work, i do not buy those things. I may a couple as "treats" however, the best thing to do is always carry carrot stix or any veggie with you when you....go to the mall, or fora walk....and offer them to her. After a few times, she will try it. It totally worked with my daughter. Plus, now she is asking for fruits and veggies. Healthy things. Give it a shot. Make her options slim to none on junk! MUAH!!!!!!
    SylviasMommy

Answer by SylviasMommy at 10:32 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• What about taking her to a food kitchen to serve? It might give her a new perspective on things.
    squish

Answer by squish at 1:03 AM on Jun. 28, 2009