What do you think ? State sued for shackling woman in childbirth

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/49109696.html

OLYMPIA, Wash. (AP) - A former inmate at a Washington state women's prison sued the state Thursday, saying her constitutional rights were violated when she was shackled while in labor.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• child birth is supposed to be a wonderful thing, in prison or not. seriously was she going to get up and run out with a baby hanging out of her va jay jay
    Anonymous

• They have been doing this for years in Cali. They have one ankle shackled to the bed. I'm suprised this wasn't brought up sooner.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 9:31 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I think it is horrible it's not like she was a violent offender

abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 9:34 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• They used to do that in NM, too.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:40 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• That's disgusting and inhumane. I hope she wins her suit.
    Anonymous

• At 18 both of my hands and my feet were bound because my child was going to be put up for adoption.

Who cares as long as the baby is ok.
    JezebelKel

Answer by JezebelKel at 9:44 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I doubt she'll win. Sadly it's one of the consequences for breaking the law while you could be or are already pregnant. There are a ton of horribly degrading things that happen to you when you break the law and go to jail. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just pointing out that we all make choices that put ourselves in certain situations. I know someone who gave birth in state prison and the whole thing was sad. But she was more concerned about selling drugs knowing she was pregnant than giving birth in the free world.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 9:49 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• What Anon 9:29 said... it's not like she's just going to up and run.
    Jafra_mommy

Answer by Jafra_mommy at 9:49 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• They didn't put her in shackles,she did it to herself,if,she wanted to be free,she shouldn't have broken the law.
    Anonymous

• Wow that's horrible. Yeah she was a criminal but it was a shoplifting incident, not a murder or something like that. If they were concerned about her running off, they should have had a guard outside her room or something like that, not kept her shackled to a bed during labor! Like the others have said...its not like she would have been able to get very far if she even DID try to run, which I doubt. I would have sued to...I hope she wins.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 9:57 PM on Jun. 26, 2009