Which is braver?

I was thinking about Farrah Fawcett's death. So many people have said how she was so brave to fight until the end. I have an aunt who had liver cancer and fought with every ounce of strength to survive. I also know a man who has an abdominal tumor, he has chosen not to fight it.

So faced with a disease like cancer that has a very, very poor probability of cure, which is braver; to fight for your life even if it means going overseas and trying every possible cure, or to die with dignity, to not fight and enjoy a quality end of life?

teamquinn

Asked by teamquinn at 9:49 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Bravery depends on the motivation of the person for doing what they're doing. We can't judge bravery necessarily by the actions they take.

Someone might choose to seek treatment for their terminal illness because they have faith that miracles can happen. Someone might do the same thing but their motivation may be because they're terrified of dying.

Someone might choose to stop treatment and let the cancer take its course because they want peace (and sometimes quality of life too). Some people might do this because their in dispair and are giving up.

No matter what, someone's motives determine their bravery in a situation.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:23 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I think anyone who has to make the choice is brave. They deserve for whatever decision they make to be respected. I don't find it fair for us to judge who's choice is more admirable. I can't say if I had the opportunity to try anything out there that I would pass it up or if I was just tired and wanted to live the rest of my life without fighting. I couldn't imagine.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 9:54 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I don't know the answer to this question.. but i do know my dad's experience. He decided not to fight. He had stomach cancer that spread into most of his limphnodes. He suffered alot. But he was strong and brave and he had his faith (catholic) that helped him through. He said he didn't want chemo or any treatments after the initial exploratory surgery...because he dind't want to lose his hair. And he died a year later with a head full of hair. For him that was his act of courage and being brave. It was within the Decree of God.

Then i i had an uncle who also died of stomach cancer he was vet exposed to agent Orange. HE fought every step of the way.. traveled around the country and to mexico looking for a cure..looking to buy more time. He died mid flgiht over the texas borders returning from a trip where he was getting homeopathic treatment. He too was brave and courageous.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 9:56 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• To face death either way is brave. You could argue that fighting till the end is not as brave because you are doing it out of fear of death, or you could argue it is braver to go down with a fight. I honestly don't think you should worry about which way is braver, you should worry about what will be best for you and your family in the end.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 9:57 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I think both choices take a tremendous amount of courage. To desicively make a choice like that requires essentially to be able to accept the unacceptable. People who decide to fight are also sometimes paving the way for those in the future by undergoing experimental treatments that may potentially save lives. Those who choose not to fight but, to face the inevitable are doing what is best for themselves (&/or thier families) inspite of what anyone else thinks. To welcome your own death is inspiring to me. I think both desicions are a testament to how the person lived thier life and the high regard they hold thier life in. They are both brave in my book.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 9:58 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• My dh is a 3x survivor of testicle cancer and the last battle was the summer of 08.
    We had to make a lot of choices and decisions and tho his was the curable type (tho I never say never when it comes to cancer) his side effects could have caused his death faster than his treatment and it almost did at the very end of his treatments...
    The choice when it comes to something like this I believe is up to the person... and they so need the whole family for the support no matter the choice... It's not easy to watch, it's not easy to deal with and the stress level is beyond high.
    Bravery is accepting the fact that either way they choose, it's not going to be easy and still come out sad...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:31 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I don't think it's a matter of being braver. I think it is, and should be, what the person with the disease wants, don't you think?
    NickyJamesMom

Answer by NickyJamesMom at 10:44 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• OP here- Good answers....I'm not trying to judge either decision...no way. I guess maybe my thought was that sometimes those who decide to fight might do so because of the fear of death. I guess I'm basing that on my Aunt. 

How about the rest of you?  I am loving this discussion.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:22 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• My Dad had Lung Cancer. He has been gone 17 years. He chose to fight. He took Radiation, he would not take Chemo. He made it for 8 years. He worked until 6 months before he died.

I will always be so proud of him for his fight, and I would have been just has proud had he not fought. Besides my God, my Dad was my greatest Hero.
    PA-PAGrandma

Answer by PA-PAGrandma at 11:35 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• my mother has hep c. she decided to stop treatment, and just live life to its fullest...now because of that drive to enjoy life, it has receeded and she feels ifne and no one knows she has a fatal disease
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 11:47 PM on Jun. 26, 2009