12 month old won't drink milk unless it's watered down...advice?

My 12 month old won't drink whole milk unless it's watered down. I've tried giving it to her straight, but she will only sip at it. I've tried giving it to her cold, warmed up (like formula), room temp...nothing works but watering it down. When it's watered down, she will drink quite a bit more.

Should I give her a multivitamin? To fill in nutritional holes?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:50 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• Since she is 12 months old, milk is not her main source of nutrition. Food is. As long as she is eating a variety of foods during the week, she doesn't need a multivitamin. If you decide to give her one anyway, be sure to read the package. Most say to give young toddlers 1/4 to a 1/2 a tablet each day. Too many vitamins is just as bad as too few and can harm her health.

As for the milk, just keep watering it down. She needs the water too. Over time, you can add less and less water until she is used to pure milk.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:58 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Give her a sippy cup with water, and make sure that she is eating a variety of healthy foods: fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, lentils, tofu, etc.
    Remember that cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 10:06 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Would she drink reduced fat or skim milk? She'd get the calcium and protein from them, more than watered down whole milk?

Answer by Bmat at 10:13 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Just supplement her diet with calcium and vitamin d rich foods, multivitamins aren't necessary and cow milk isn't either.
    Anonymous

• Have your tried 2% or 1% milk? Those are a lot less thick than whole milk. My son never had whole milk and was just fine. Your daughter can get the fat and calcium she needs from other sources; yogurt, cheese,etc. As a matter of fact, my son stopped drinking milk by 18 months.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:57 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• some kids can't drink water either, my mom said I would always choke on water as a young child and even today as an adult, half a glass of water will make me gag. sorry, its gross. I don't care if its purified, or from the tap, or bottled. The only kind I can drink is Disani but that can take like half a day for me to drink too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• OP

Thanks everyone! :-)
    Anonymous