WHEN SHOULD i START TRYiNG GERBER OR CEREALS???

BECAUSE THE WiC SAYS SiX MONTHS AND HELL BE 5 MONTH iN 2 WEEKS...SO iDK WHAT TO DOOO..

jacobalex_mommy

Asked by jacobalex_mommy at 9:59 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I started at 3.5... my dr told me 4 months but she seemed ready earlier. I think it's really up to you and when you are ready to and if you think your son will be ready. And WIC told me 6 mos as well
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 10:01 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Understand that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 10:01 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Between 4 and 6 months is recommended. And definitely at 6 months. They say that if you start after that age, the baby could be too used to bottle or breast and might reject the cereal. So you could start now, if you wanted.
    You can try to start with just giving him a little cereal for lunch, and once he starts eating about a 1/4 cup, you can move on to giving him at dinner also. Mashed carrots f.ex. The book "Super baby Food" is great, and should give you some ideas on everything, if you are new at this game ;-) Good Luck.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 10:07 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Rkoloms, please don't give the advice that doctors don't know anything about food. There is a reason they are allowed to call themselves doctors!
    Anonymous

• I started with the cereal at 3 1/2 mos.... and started adding other foods at 4 mos. starting with applesauce, pears, bananas, and sweet potatoes..... i introduced one food a week until he had tasted the rainbow of foods.... I would mix applesauce in with whatever the new food was. I used the applesauce so he had a familiar flavor to ease him into the new taste. Make sure that when you start out that the cereal or other food is really thin/watery until the baby has all the reflexes necessary for swallowing.
    Tashia07

Answer by Tashia07 at 4:40 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• u can start them on cereal when they are 4 months and u can add a little in their bottle with formula and it will help them sleep longer so u have more time to get some sleep.
    nicole_ella

Answer by nicole_ella at 4:49 PM on Jun. 28, 2009