How do you get black hair dye out

My daughter dyed her hair black in January I think and I have died it a lighter color at least 3 times but all the black wont go away. I use dyes for black hair to turn lighter and it just lightens parts of her hair. Someone please tell me how to get this out. I just used a dye tonight that was to turn black hair 3 shades lighter and she still has black all in her hair. any suggestions would be appreciated

heavenlypeace

Asked by heavenlypeace at 10:07 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• Okay first, you cannot use lighter color over black hair color. It won't work and you are over processing her hair. The color has to be removed. She needs to go to a professional and have it stripped and recolored. I do this for a living and it is not an easy job to remove black box color from a teenagers hair. I do it at least once a week! This is a very complex job lighteners penetrate certain parts of the hair quicker than others and you have to be able to calculate what will process first in order to make it all one color. Stop coloring her hair, you are beating a dead horse. A color made to lighten 3 shades is based on hair WITHOUT haircolor in it!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 10:13 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Steff107--How much does it cost to get it stripped?
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 10:24 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Well to be honest with you I'm more reasonable than others but if you call around you might be able to find someone nice enough to work with you. The most affordable would be a beauty school. It isn't the ideal situation, but those girls could use the learning experience and they are watch by instructors. I'm sure you could get it done for under $100 at a school. It's going to be a long lengthy process for her and you may want her to help pay for it so she thinks twice before she does something so damaging to her hair again. If you have any questions like this ever, just ask me! Glad to help!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 10:32 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Steff107-- Thanks so much and I told her shes gonna go bald if she keeps dying her hair but she doesnt listen. Her natural hair color is light brown and I hate her black hair with brown spots all in it.
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 10:42 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• She really will lose a lot of hair if she doesn't stop! I see it every day!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 10:47 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• also, she needs to know it won't be a 'wow! this is it!' color with just one visit. its a process, and will probably require more than one time in the chair to reach the desired haircolor/back to a natural shade.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 12:19 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• bleach...................

or toners lighten it.................

or hair stripping................ and ive been dying my hair for years and its very ehalthy. she will not go bald unless she doesnt treat it after the dye. then she will kill it. i have used bleach, every color ont he sun etc. and i have long shiny hair. its all about the treatments and how you treat it after
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 12:38 AM on Jun. 28, 2009