are earplugs enough?

my son has tubes in his ears and i took him to the beach a couple of days ago and he absolutely LOVED it! but im scared he will go under water and get another ear infection. he wanted to just run into the water and play but with me being so scared i had to hold his hand to make sure he didn't go under. would earplugs be enough to protect his ears? i don't want my son missing out on all the fun just because he has an ear problem :[

exxOHjackie

Asked by exxOHjackie at 10:11 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter had tubes in her ears and Im very surprised the doctor didnt tell you to make sure you get ear plugs for him when he takes a bath or anything. Try to get the gummy ones that you can mold to his ears. Dont get the ones that go inside the ears. I used the bright orange ones that you can get at walmart and my daughter has never had an ear infection since then. Now her tubes fell out and she doesnt have to get anymore....so make sure that you get some or his tubes could get really sore if water gets in there...good luck
    Goingthruitall

Answer by Goingthruitall at 10:14 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I'm not sure. I know when I was younger all of my cousins had tubes. They had this waxy stuff they had put in their ears when they went swiming and stuff. They never had any problems.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 10:14 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I did two sets of tubes with my oldest and 2 sets of tubes with my granddaughter. Go to WalMart, Target and most drugstores and buy the SILICONE earplugs for kids. Usually they are bright orange or red. You roll them in a ball then sort of squish them to cover the whole external ear opening. They are very comfortable and I never had one come out in the shower, tub, pool, lake or ocean. Thoses were the plugs that both ENT dr's 22 years apart told me to use.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:15 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• walgreens has pink gummy ear plugs thats what my sons doc gave us when he got his tube
    littleleesmom

Answer by littleleesmom at 11:38 PM on Jun. 26, 2009