which is worse?!

I am scheduled to be induced Tuesday and when I told a friend of mine she was like OH NO! and went on to tell me that it was much worse and Pytocin was "cruel" to your body and seriously freaked me out.. do I have a reason to be!? Is it really worse than natural labor.. Mind you going into labor naturally is my first choice but my doc thinks it best that if I don't go by Tuesday that we induce.. so.. since she is the doc and I am not.. i am going with what she says.. just nervous and don't know what to expect!?

HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Don't listen to your friend. That is really wrong of her to give you advice like this. I'm not trying to scare you, because obviously your doctors are on top of things, but....my mom had a doctor before me when she was pregnant and she SHOULD have been induced and wasn't...and she lost the baby when she was 9 months pregnant. Sometimes it's necessary and your baby will be fine. It is supposedly more painful for the mother, but if you have an epidural or pain medicine, it shouldn't make too much of a difference. Don't worry, you'll be fine! :)
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 11:35 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• i was induced with both my pregnancies... my 2nd my water broke but i enver dialated, so they gave me pitocin,.. the contractions were managable, and my pitocin was upped every 20 mins for over 5 hours......
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 11:36 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• just wanted to add that i ahd no meds! due to the fact teh epidural didnt take and by the time they got the second one in the babys head was almsot out!
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 11:37 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I was told that when you are induced it usually takes longer but not nessecarily(sp) worse. I think That dr's do this everyday and if it were cruel why would they do it at all? You're right you are not the doc and she is so I would do just what you're doing and do what she/he says. I don't know if you're friend is also aware that babies can get seriously hurt if they are born too big too. Most docs WILL NOT induce unless they think it is needed. if they think that then I would do as she says because you want a healthy baby first and for most. The doc is making a decision that will have the best outcome for a healthy mom and baby. I would just do as they say. You'll forget about the pain when you see your child's prescious face for the first time:) Congrats MOmmy!!!
    AshleyG.

Answer by AshleyG. at 11:39 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I was not induced but I worked for an OBGYN for a few years and I never heard anyone complain. It might make the contractions stronger but like the AP said if you have an epidural you won't feel it anyway so what does it matter?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• My best friend has had Pitocin with both of her babies. With her first she had an epidural that worked perfectly and she never felt a thing! Her second, he was coming so fast that by the time they got the epi in it was too late. She doesn't blame it on the Pitocin and I was in there with her both times and it never bothered me. Trust your Doctor, they know what's best!
    TiffanyReed

Answer by TiffanyReed at 12:45 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I'll go against the grain here, but usually inductions are harder than letting your body go into labor naturally. Its one thing to be induced, and another thing to go into labor and them give you pit to speed it up. Personally, I would never electively choose an induction. I had to with my first though for medical reasons. I was in labor for 34 hours, pushed for 2 1/2, and my epidural never worked. It was absolutely horrible. But, everybody has a different story. I will say, from having worked in OB, your chance of a c-section goes way up if you're induced. Please copy and paste this link. Its a post from another mom asking a similar question. There's alot of induction stories and opinions for both sides:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/416/forums/read/9222508/Help_Would_you_ask_Dr_to_induce_you_IF
    MyJoieDeVivre

Answer by MyJoieDeVivre at 1:23 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• It looks like I'm the odd one out here, but I'd think long and hard about this if I were you. Pitocin causes unnaturally intense contractions that are hard on the baby and you. That's why they want you hooked up to a monitor often for the entire labor. Chances of fetal distress go WAAAAY up when you're induced. Also, your chance of having a c-section is over 40% if you're induced after 40 weeks, higher if it's earlier. That's what happened to me. Failed induction at 41 weeks. 40 hours of hard labor that got us nowhere, and then an emergency c-section. A NIGHTMARE. This baby can take as long as she wants to come out, as long as she's doing well. I don't care if I have a 10 month pregnancy instead of 9 months.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 1:25 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Why are you being induced? If it's for a scheduling thing with your doctor, then don't do it, if it's for the health of the baby, or your health, then follow your doctor's instructions...unless of course your friend is your doctor, then you might get a new doctor...and friend
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 1:51 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• i just had my baby 3 weeks ago, had to be induced at almost 42 weeks...they started the pitocin about 9am and i had her at 1244am..i didnt really feel much with the pitocin, just mild cramping and discomfort, and around 3 in the afternoon my water broke and instantly my contractions were really intense...personally i had an epidural, but my induction was just like a "normal" vaginal birth that i heard stories about...my water breaking is what did it for me, and i got it to break by walking and sitting on the birthing ball..so dont be nervous if you end up getting induced, its really not that bad..especially if you get an epi.
    MaciesMommy09

Answer by MaciesMommy09 at 3:49 AM on Jun. 27, 2009