Why do some parents dress their little girls in slutty clothes?

I have seen this a lot and I don't mean girls who are 14, 12, or even 9 I mean little girls like 2, 3, and 4. Today we went to a mall nearby to let my sons play at the kids' soft play area. There was a girl who was maybe 5 or 6 wearing t tube top and booty shorts, literally booty shorts. When she was running around and playing her butt cheeks were hanging out the bottom of her shorts. It was definitely not a swimming suit, they were jean shorts. It was awkward and kind of embarrassing. My three year old son came to me and pointed out that he could see her butt and asked why.
My SIL has always dressed her daughter this way. She is 10 now and her clothes look like something a hooker would wear. Don't parents want to keep their daughters sweet and innocent as long as possible?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• I personally am completely against the way some parents dress there children. Honestly how many child porn crazed people are there in this world and people sit there and dress there children that way. Let your little girl be a little girl (Not "grown up") let them dress CUTE not "trampy", Be a role model for them and dress mature (I'm not saying like an 80 year old) but you know what I mean! I've seen little kids in freaking high heals little ruffled mini skirts etc. and like thongs for children COME ON PEOPLE! I'm glad someone though up this question, hmmm and parents wonder why there 12 year olds are out having sex, keep it covered!
    Soon2Be8489

Answer by Soon2Be8489 at 11:51 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I don't know, I'm still trying to figure out why grown women wear slutty clothes.
    I guess the trashy moms want their kids to be just like them. Honestly, that's the first thing I can think of.
    Anonymous

• my daughter -5- wears short shorts, her butt doesnt hang outta them tho...she has some tube tops..well technically they are spaghetti strapped, but the straps can come off..i leave the straps on when were out in public tho. i dont by any means think that she looks slutty, or dresses slutty...so what, next youre gonna say its wrong for a young child to wear a bikini to???
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:30 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• well the best reasons ( I say that loosely) I can think of is because they figure either it doesn't matter because she's so young or because they can't afford to get new clothes for their little one. Not everyone can qualify for free clothing either. Or possibly, its a favorite item that she refuses to get rid of. I know that we would all feel that there are ways around those obstacles, but some moms can't see them.
    Also, as a mom of a ten year old, its hard to find innocent clothes sometimes. And because my DD is kind of tall for her age, its even harder to find things her size that actually fit. I know we have an obesity problem in the US, but my DD could technically fit a size 6 waist, but needs a 10 for length. If my mom wasn't so great at sewing, I don't know what I'd do. Her skirts could fit two of her in them.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 1:08 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Oh, I find the most innocent clothes at Burlington Coat Factory and we also shop walmart because DH works there and so we get a discount. We did buy her one "mall" outfit for her B-Day and that skort was a ten, but I knew the minute she put it on, by the time school starts next fall, it won't be long enough. Its already mid thigh, and to me that's way too high for 10. The heel thing though, sorry you can't find a dress shoe anymore without at least a small heel. Its ridiculous.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 1:12 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• To give you something to judge them by.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:16 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Better than high waters. Do people even bother to look at their boys clothes before they take them out in public?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:21 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I like Susie's answer. I have not seen children who look like sluts - or their parents. Slut is a term that you give for being judgemental. I'm not embarassed when I see any child out and about regardless of their condition or clothing situation. I also think bikini's, tube tops, and shorts are fine for children. The only dirty mind is the one who is judging.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:35 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Kids should be dressed like kids, not like miniature adults

Answer by rkoloms at 8:06 AM on Jun. 27, 2009