Scared child

My 3 year old daughter seems to be afraid of everything that makes noise. Tonight I was trying to put her to bed and our neighbors bug zapper got a bug and she went ballistic. Now for no reason she is standing in her doorway screaming. How do I get her to calm down? I've tried everything and nothing is working.

agrafel

Asked by agrafel at 11:50 PM on Jun. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It could be her response continues the scream fest. Most times it is good to be calm and just pick her up, put her back into her bed, explain what it is with a straight face (no frustration), and tuck her in. If she refuses to stay in bed - tell her she can scream all she wants but the bug zapper will not hurt her. She must stay in bed. Then leave the room. Continue to put her in bed over and over again with not even a word. Just pick her up and tuck her in. It may be a pain but do it over and over, it may even be hundreds of times you put her back in. When your response gets old and boring she will stop. Do this for all over reactions. Put her in a spot where you do not have to hear her or see her. It is okay to be afraid, it is not okay to over react. Then do have her ears checked to see if she does have a medical issues where she may be more sensetive to certain frequencies or noises.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:06 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I like the answer to this question :) . However there is also a condition known about noises and how a child is sensitive to them . If none of the above work I would have her checked .

Rachel311

Answer by Rachel311 at 6:39 AM on Jun. 28, 2009