Do you think everyone sees the same colors in the same hues as everyone else?

I always thought about this. I mean, putting color-blind people aside...do you think two people with normal vision will see red in the exact same hue?

How could we ever test it to be sure?

Just something to think about :D

(and no. i do not do drugs.)

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 12:09 AM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• no..as a colorist, i can attest to the fact that most people have their own idea of what color is, especially in the salon. take for example, paint colors. i painted my dining room in the spring. the color is called 'gold sconce'--its a very deep gold, with green undertones. one person said it looked 'yellow', another said it looked 'like old guacamole'...of course, they both disagreed with the other.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 12:36 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Thats a good question...im not sure. Im partly color blind so i cant tell the difference between reds pinks and orange....some blues and greens get mixed up also....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• That's so strange! My mom's second husband was colorblind from birth. He couldn't see green at all, it was just gray to him. So that means the grass and trees are gray in his eyes. I can't even imagine it. He doesn't even know what green really looks like.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:13 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Ok well im the anon that first posted....didnt know i clicked that lol...But my grandpa is also color blind he cant see ANY colors he had me organize his closet so all of his sutes were matching but he still will mix them up and have navy pants on with a black jacket or some other combination because they are all different shades of gray and some of them are just to close togeather to tell the difference....hell some people who arnt color blind mess things up like that lol
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:22 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Good question! No, I don't think we do. I think we can all agree that red is red and blue is blue, but hues and tones and shades, I think, are influenced by our own perceptions. Whether you think a certain shade of red is blood red or brick red or rose red is going to be based on your experiences with those adjectives.
    utopiaseas

Answer by utopiaseas at 1:54 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Yes I think people see in different hues. Like the color teal for instants. I say it's a shade of blue my husband would tell you green. We are looking at the same thing but I still feel it is more blue than green and he still feels it's more green than blue. Surely we are seeing it differently. that or he just wants to pick a fight...Which could be entirely possible I guess now that I think about it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:15 PM on Jun. 27, 2009