I heard someone say on the radio, “every dollar spent with GM is a dollar spent against free enterprise.”

Now that GM is over 70% Government owned, do you feel this way?

Liberals, I have a serious question for you~If this type of Government ownership in private business is not capitalism, in your opinions~what is it?

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 12:19 AM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Never thought of it that way, but it's true.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 12:22 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• "There is another critical problem in government operation of business. Private firms are models of efficiency largely because the free market establishes prices which permit them to calculate, which they must do in order to make profits and avoid losses. Thus, free "capitalism" tends to set prices in such a way that goods are properly allocated among all the intricate branches and areas of production that make up the modern economy. "
    tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 12:56 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• The way Chrysler and GM have been managed for years is hardly an tribute to capitalism and free enterprise nor were Enron and AIG. It is no good quoting an elementary textbook on economic theory. There is no siuch thing as a 'free market ' in todays ' capitalist ' society. Markets are manged and manipulated by cartels and mega - corporations and governments failures in regulating and overseeing the economy as a whole has resulted in the recent financial crisis and recession. Personally, I do not believe the government should have bailed out the money market and the auto industry - they failed, they should have been sold off under bankruptcy or just closed down.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 1:41 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• To me, it is bullsh**. Why would I buy a car from these dealers? I would rather flush my money down my toilet and watch it spiral down the drain. I agree with you.
    blakebrm

Answer by blakebrm at 8:06 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I agree with janet116.
    Tristana

Answer by Tristana at 8:43 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I come from a GM/Ford Family. My family members have worked for GM and Ford since before I was born. GM's quality has declined. I don't like their business model. I would have had more faith in GM if they had NOT relied on the government to bail them out. So I will not buy a GM. I am not boycotting GM, but I am using my consumer power of choice and going elsewhere to spend 10's of thousands of my hard earned dollars on a product I can believe in. I can't believe in a company that is Government 'owned'.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:48 AM on Jun. 27, 2009