Cap and Trade - a democrat's view

First, yes, I am anon because I do not want to be harassed by fellow dems or by rebubs - get real ladies, we all know that some can't keep it on the boards and I don't want my page overrun.

Cap and Trade. Bad idea right now. Good concept, I would love to see it implemented at a later date AFTER wind farms and solar farms are up and running. AFTER the economy is on a better track. I am not anti-cap and trade. I am anti-cap and trade during an economic crisis.

This is not the time to be imposing regulations which will raise the costs for so many who are already struggling to survive and simply put food on the table. Instituting cap and trade will raise costs on so much that people are already having trouble paying (electric, gas, etc). I know my family can't afford it. We can barely pay the bills we get now and if one of us loses a job, we are up a creek.

Please, keep it civil -
Your views? Your story?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• "Cap and Trade. Bad idea right now. Good concept, I would love to see it implemented at a later date AFTER wind farms and solar farms are up and running. AFTER the economy is on a better track. I am not anti-cap and trade. I am anti-cap and trade during an economic crisis."

SO TRUE, OP.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:31 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• OP again, if this passes and my family suffers, the democrat may not lose my husband's vote (he is very pro-cap and trade, we had a fight about it earlier) but they WILL lose MY vote.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• It may not be the best solution and I suspect changes will be made before long, but given the seriousness of global warming which is now proceeding at a rate compatible with scientific worst-case scenarios a few years ago, something has to be done and quickly. With the Copenhagen Coference coming up soon to reach international agreements to succeed Kyoto, the US does not need to be classed as a pariah nation like Iran and North Korea for doing nthing, and by so doing undercutting the efforts of other countries.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 1:28 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I don't support C&T or UHC, but if we're going to implement them, I agree with the OP - don't try getting them running back-to-back. My household cannot afford it. We both work but we are already strugling with the utilities and it isn't going to take much to tip us right over the edge.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 6:19 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• janet, you need to find another planet! this one is clearly not working out for you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:19 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• The American Clean Energy and Security Act will set a national ceiling on greenhouse gas emissions and let polluting industries buy and sell credits to meet it. This “cap-and-trade” system would limit harmful human-generated emissions and, hopefully, speed up development of renewable energy sources, create green jobs and help reduce our dependence on oil.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:46 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Cap-and-trade legislation that takes a balanced approach towards an economy wide-program and prevents foreign competitors from getting advantages over American companies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:47 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• This is a positive step toward ensuring that the U.S. addresses its climate and energy challenges while shifting to a clean energy economy that provides good jobs in green manufacturing and skilled construction trades.”
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:48 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Shell has today launched an impassioned defence of emissions cap-and-trade schemes, arguing that despite the falling price of carbon within the EU's scheme and growing calls for alternative carbon management mechanisms such as carbon taxes, cap-and-trade schemes remain the most effective way of cutting emissions.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:49 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• The cap in a cap-and-schemes trade ensures that the environmental objective is met. It works and it is already proven that it works. Europe is ahead of us. That's a disgrace.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:51 AM on Jun. 27, 2009