Needless Hugging?!

Apparently there is an epidemic going through schools. Students are *gasp* HUGGING each other, for NO APPARENT REASON! Please read this blog http://www.parentingteensblog.com/needless-hugging/ (and comment there if you feel like it!).

What do you think?

AnnieMcD

Asked by AnnieMcD at 1:01 AM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I think it is great that kids hug. In France, kids (and adults) greet nearly everyone with kisses on the check and it's true that the girls especially love to hug each other. I don't see it as such a big deal... it's not like they are punching each other, or passing cigarettes/post. If they do it in school and they get to class on time, what is the big deal?
    Hugs to all of you!!
    PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 12:07 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of. We teach out children to be good and friendly then they get all this BS..........pfft!
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 1:48 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• The school district where I live has a "no contact" rule. Middle/high school students aren't allowed to hug or hold hands. It's outrageous.
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 2:39 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I just don't understand why people are so up in arms (HA! Excuse the pun, LOL) about hugging. It's not as if the kids are having sex in the hallways, it's a hug for Pete's sake!

Is there anyone here on the Non-Hugging side? Any mommies reading this that think that these fears are perfectly reasonable? There must be some, otherwise this wouldn't be an issue in schools at all. I would love to hear from those that want hugs (or hand holding) banned...
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 2:52 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• i was always hugging my friends, female and male!!! but im a very touchy person... i have friends that never did though!!!
    sunshine89

Answer by sunshine89 at 8:22 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• How queer...I've always greeted any of my friends - male/female - with a hug.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 12:29 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• WHat a ridiculous crock of s**t!!!! My kid is going to be in a LOT of trouble then when she gets in school because we hug and kiss constantly in our family. This kind of bull makes me lean ever further towards homeschooling. I thought these were schools not concentration camps. School admins are going Nazi all over the place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    bella0522

Answer by bella0522 at 1:48 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A NEEDLESS HUG, ALL OF US COULD USE MORE OF THIS!

Answer by older at 4:32 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• what's sad is when it starts so young in some schools. I know there have been stories of kindergarteners getting in touble for hugging! Seriously, some kids the only hugs they ever might get are from friends. Sad but true. It will also affect a child at home, my mom swears this is why my DD is more affectionate with her and I and she has to be told to hug daddy and grandpa.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 5:52 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• My daughter is a hugger. When she started preschool, we had lots of talks about asking permission before hugging, because everyone is not a hugger. Clearly, there are grownups who are not huggers and don't understand the need to hug. I have my own theory on huggers; who was hugged more as a child, President Bush (2) or President Obama?

Answer by rkoloms at 9:21 PM on Jun. 27, 2009