Has anyone ever lost a child in a store?

I was shopping at Walmart and they announced a code Adam. They gave a description of the lost little girl - three times within 30 minutes. I saw lots of employees looking up and down aisles. I had to leave (sick child), but I couldn't stop thinking about the girl and her mom all day. When I left, there were two police cars in the front of the store. I feel like I should have put my grocery cart aside and helped them search for her. There were no news reports about it, nothing in the paper either. Just wondering how often something like that happens. Anyone go through that before? Was your child found? Would it be wierd if I asked management about the outcome? I just can't help thinking about the situation. If it were me, I would surely have appreciated any help. What would you have done?

happy1mom

Asked by happy1mom at 1:17 AM on Jun. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would call and ask. Tell them you were in the store and have been worrying about her.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:18 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Yes, at a walmart. My Dh works there. Our son at age four, knew 90% of the staff at that point. Well I was with my mom, our DD who was about a year old and my DH was working. Well mom went off to look at something and I was talking to my DH. Well then I left his area and went to my mom a few feet away and had thought he was with her. She thought he was with me. You know that impression you get when you know your kid was just right there? Yeah, it was like that. Anyhow, I asked Dh if he was in his dept. (electronics) at the time, and he said no, and then he asked me do you want to call a code adam, and to my everlasting shame, I hesitated. But all our assoc. friends started looking anyway. He was three feet away the whole time, hiding inside a circular rack, he heard us calling for him but was too afraid to come out because everyone was looking! I learned my lesson, never hesitate, a false alarm is better than a missing kid.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 1:35 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• But all I could think about was that couldn't happen to us with all of our friends around. Logan was born when that store was built, he was literally their first baby. His red hair makes him pretty distinctive too. And it was a small Walmart, not like the mega giant ones they build now, but all I could think about later was what if I were wrong, those few minutes could have been precious moments to save him. Like that child they called an Adam for, and found her in the restroom with her head already shaved. Luckily the abductor left her there when the code was called.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 1:43 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Not in a store, but I lost my son at Universal Studios one day. We were up in one of their play places, where you could shoot balls out of these canons at the people below. My son was only 2, and these older kids stopped me to ask how the canons worked. I stopped to explain it to them, and when I turned around my son was gone. There were two direction he could have gone in, so I picked one and ran. The first couple I saw I stopped them and asked if they had seen a little boy wearing a grey shirt and red shorts come this way. They said no, so I took off in the other direction. As I was rounding the corner, when I heard him calling Mommy from the stairs. He wasn't panicked or anything, he had just realized that I wasn't behind him. All I could think was, "How am I going to tell my husband that I lost our son?" Thankfully it was only a minute, maybe two before I found him. But I was about to have a severe panic attack.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 9:50 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• We were at a carnvial and my twins were just about 2 1/2 yrs old. I was holding my daughter and the one twin was beside me and his brother was beside him. Their dad has a tendency to run through crowds without waiting for us.(he's gotten better since that episode) and I walked maybe five seconds turned to check and he was gone. I yelled to their dad to stop and told him he was gone. I got scared so bad, that sick to my stomach feeling. When he finally found him, our son told him that he was looking for daddy. He was just on the other side of a food tent. Scary scary scary. I always make sure that they hold my hand or my shirt whenever we go anyplace since then. I say "hands" and we all hold hands too if we are crossing a street or parking lot.

Not exactly a mother's best moment. But it happens. I would definitely try to help someone find their child and ask for help if it were mine.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 10:32 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Walmart is very good about finding lost kids in their stores. Once a Code Adam is called the doors are locked and not opened again until the child is found. If the news is called everytime a child is lost in a store, that is all that would be in the news. A lost child in a store is NOT news, unless they aren't found in the store. I have helped find lost kids in stores and it is usually pretty quick.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:29 PM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I'm am so embarrassed to admit this but yes, I have had my child run from me at a store. He was almost two and DH, DS, and I went to Walmart. We were in the car seat isle and DH and I were arguing about why we couldn't just buy this one seat instead. Anyways, I was trying to do some research and I kept telling him to look after DS. I turned around and DS was gone. So DH went looking for him. I was pissed at DH because he was being an ass and not paying attention. Then, since I was pregnant, I was getting really upset trying to find my son that I pushed a cart into a display. An employee saw me and asked what happened. I'm crying and she says well we'll put out a Code Adam. Like a second after they put it over the speakers, DH had found DS by the toys. Now DH doesn't come shopping with us anymore and my son doesn't leave the cart.
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 1:46 PM on Jun. 27, 2009