three days and still no milk? help!!

i delivered my son on tuesday (the 23rd) at 9:10 pm. its now saturday (the 27th) at 1:26 am, three days later and my milk still hasnt come in! i've been feeding him with colustrum for the past three days and hes eating pretty good but i'm starting to worry my milk will never come in! anyone else have this problem or tips for encouraging milk production?

Asked by littlemomma899 at 1:28 AM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• mine came in on day three, stay hydrated & i know you dont wanna think about it bc you wanna lose weight but eat atleast 500 calories more & dont use any dieting stuff, it can dry you out. Ifyour really concerned you can ask your dr to prescribe you the pill that helps boost your supply and then once you really get things going what ever milk you pump make sure you freeze, it comes in VERY handy!

Answer by marinesweetie at 3:38 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• It can take up to seven days don't worry he will be fine

Answer by babygirl9669 at 1:31 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• It took my milk 5 days for both of my kids to come in

Answer by Amanda7891 at 1:37 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Don't did not come in until day 6....I was feeding and pumping to encourage it.

Answer by Jacksmommy1027 at 1:40 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Yep, it takes a while. Took me 8 days! I was freaking out and i called my doctor, a few minutes later it came in.

Answer by lovegiabear at 2:03 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• generally it takes at least 4-5 days, sometimes even longer. Just keep nursing.

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 2:20 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Agreed, it takes longer sometimes. You can try pumping (and save the milk! lol, you can freeze it up to 6 months) inbetween feedings to stimulate milk production. Make sure you are drinking LOTS of water.

Answer by Arkaidy at 2:31 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• He will be fine...It took 7 days with my second child. Please do not supplument. The more he nurses the faster it will come.

Answer by ColleenF30 at 4:54 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Mine came in on day 4, I could tell the difference in my breasts, but it was still hardly any milk that came in so I thought it was still colostrum! You have to nurse frequently at this stage to help make your milk come in and to help your supply increase.

Answer by leahs_mom_kate at 10:01 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• The milk will usually come in around day 4 or 5. Don't worry, keep going, let him feed frequently. It will happen. Don't supplement, It will just slow your own milk down.

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 9:45 PM on Jun. 27, 2009