Does anyone know the purpose for Catholics standing, sitting, kneeling, crossing and so on during service?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Jun. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes, it completes the brainwashing. Ever seen a catholic study their own bible? Of course not..it is discouraged. Hold your rosary, confess all to a man...and look to another man to intercede for you with the almighty. Yeah, bitter ex catholic here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:59 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• peace be with you anon LOL *makes sign of cross*
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• Actually, no. I was raised catholic and never cared to know. I found it stupid anyway. Kneel, sit, kneel, stand, kneel again. Ugh. And the priests were so boring. One was so monotone and took so long to talk that i would almost fall asleep.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 2:17 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• for me....kneeling shows submission
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 2:18 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• It is ritual. Why do wiccans perform certain ceremonies during certain times of the year? It is part of thier faith. If you don't like it don't go to a catholic church.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:19 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• To make it easier to spot the rogue protestants.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:31 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I dont go to Catholic church anymore, but not because of that. But not having to do that is just a perk.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 2:35 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• im not catholic, but my DH is...while its easy for me to agree with some above posts, i will answer what i was told by my catholic inlaw family....the sign of the cross serves as a "reminder" when they pray. i guess a reminder of what was done on the cross. my MIL gets upset with my children when we pray and they dont do the sign. she told them it "doesnt count as much". kneeling shows reverence and respect to God. they kneel when certain things in the bible are read. same with standing. it all basically has to do with respect for the word of God, the priest, and the sacraments (which is basically the different steps of worship during the service).
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 3:11 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• A prayer doesnt count as much because they dont do the sign? Thats ridiculous! Sometimes i do the sign of the cross and other times i dont, but i highly doubt God is like "Ah, she didnt use the sign. Put it in the "Look at later Pile"."

Sorry, thats just silly.

I can see the respect aspect of the the kneel and whatnot. But i prefer other churchs' ways.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 3:50 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• I want to know if this ritual is dictated in the bible? if so, is it in all versions of the bible? Is the ritual particular to some Christians and not to others? why?

And if the cross is a reminder of the cruxification (sp)...then why is the cross revered. I've asked my mom this but she' can't explain it to me. She just tells me that is what she learned that you have to have the cross everywhere in your home and you should wear it. She also does the cross over her food and over herself whenever she wants and over other people. Is it commanded in the bible to wear the cross and revere it and use it for "blessing things and others"?
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 7:30 AM on Jun. 27, 2009